Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When did you catch the 'ship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as Joss is a rabid atheist, I am a rabid B/Aer. (Get over it—wasn’t that the line hurled at us? hee hee). I’m not holding back an iota here so get ready to be really offended or just skip over this.

I am glad to skip over ships or fics that essentially turn my stomach—and B/S and C/A are among the most, blessedly, catastrophically, bad executions on my liquid sh*t list, no matter how I grasp the INTENT of the literary merits of having created it that really are “an insight” into the human condition or specific characters; and even a re telling of many stories that are literally ageless—which B/A also is. I have no problem people putting together people to ponies, because it IS fic, but I also don’t have to read them.

However, I don’t want to have to censor myself on what is advertised as a B/A friendly board to keep people in happy land oblivion in agreement I don’t feel—sorry for being such a stick in the mud slug—but I came here to find a place that I can safely gush mushly much about these two characters and how much they mean to me (personally even), without people getting all bent out of shape as being personally “attacked” over “fictional characters.”

I also happen to love the family dynamic that was built between Buffy and the scoobs, and I just can’t imagine Buffy without them, just slaying away, ever in pain, when she has people on her side, who have literally offered their lives and even accepted her freaky world, not to mention a man who ripped his world view apart to become a real mensch and a real father, who deserves to be more than an “instruction manual” in her life and most certainly deserved to be part of her future, not to mention to HAVE one—not to mention to have met a person who is metaphysically her equal and opposite, who accepts her as she grows and changes, yet also loves her above and beyond himself for the sake of her happiness, even as he struggles to grow and be worthy of standing by her side, something she already accepts and sees in him.

Just sayin’ Write, sing, dance, rock on.
Hugs!
sybil
MaryZg
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost unbelievable to me, but I wasn't big on B/A when the shows originally aired. Admittedly, I only began watching BtVS seriously in its 6th season, and AtS I watched most regularly during the reruns a couple of years ago, and most regularly during its 3rd season.
Sooo... unbelieveable, I tell you.... I was no "shipper", but.... I saw Buffy with Spike, and wanted her with him. And I saw Angel with Cordy and wanted him with her, and I was sorry (God!) that didn't happen.

And then about a year ago, I missed a friend of mine (the one that got me into the verse in the first place) I missed her terribly, and in a kind of a nostalgic attempt to get back a part of our shared past, I decided to watch BtVS from the very beginning. Buffy was my friend's hero back in the day, she really loved the girl, and should I say, because of that, I watched her with a teary eye too from the very first time she stepped into the scene in the pilot. This second time around I loved Buffy instantly. She became my hero too. Just a young girl, and the world on her shoulders, and still she laughes, and does her hair, and persists. That's huge, people. That's hope incarnate, brings tears to my eyes even now.
And then came Angel. First he was just a weird, though cute guy. The way they fell for each other, so slowly, but surely, after they learned about the other...

By the time she told him "When you kiss me, I wanna die!" they started to represent the very love to me. There's no need to go anywhere else if you want to talk&think&write about love. Their story embodies, in my eyes, everything love is/could be/shouldn't become, etc.

Then came the "Graduation" episode, and he left. Of course, I already cried my eyes out with Buffy ("I feel like I can't breathe..."), but this made me incosloable, because, remember? I already saw their future and knew what awaits them. So I turned my eyes towards the beautiful people on the net to provide me with their perfect ending. I found so much more than just that - I've read so many so well written stories starring our fav couple that my pain over the injustice of their break-up got assuaged, but it didn't dissapear. And right now, I myself am writing a story of my own, wanting finally to put into words what I feel about their story, and the very process of writing it has helped me a lot during a personal crisis I found myself in. Which means that, from now on, the two of them will have me even more, since I'll forever associate their fates with my own.

I hate words like "shipping" or what not. I'm no blind consumer that eats pop-culture crap and asks for more. But for the two of them and because the great people of this fandom, I'll call myself a B/A shipper. It's the only "ship" I ever had.
I already plan on showing BtVS to my little niece when she comes of age to understand them. I want her to see what true love is all about, and to see it in a couple where there's a strong woman and a caring man. I want her to be like Buffy and to want a guy like Angel. I want her not to settle for anything less.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairos and 268 others like this post.
angelsbuffy4ever
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the outpouring of B/A love is really awesome to see. And the fact that we vehemently protect our favorite pair and don't give B/S or C/A the time of day makes me haaaapppyyy.

Whenever the writers tried to put B/S and C/A together it just seemed totally out of character. As if B and A's new "love interests" only worked if you haven't seen their characters from Season1-3. I'm supposed to believe that Angel loves Cordelia when in BTVSseason 2 he was watching/in-love with Buffy through her window before she was even called? Laughing He didn't even have to speak to her and he was in love!

It sort of insults my intelligence that I have to pretend that I haven't seen the earlier seasons to believe Spuffy or Cangel. Nothing against Spike or Cordelia as characters( they are hilarious sometimes), I just don't want them interfering with my #1 Soulmates Smile
“Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other... I know I've spent each life before this one searching for you. Not someone like you but you, for your soul and mine must always come together.”
- Nicholas Sparks
alilbitgoth
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main reason for watching Buffy when it premiered was vampires. I was still mourning the end of Kindred the Embrace so I was ecstatic. Anything that had vamps in it, I was interested. Then from the first moment buffy pops Angel in the head and he pops up being a smart ass, I was a goner. (I have a thing for smart asses, what can I say)Mr. Green . I was like oh who is this tall, dark and handsome stranger. From then on, I was like Buffy must claim that. Plus I fell head over heels for DB.

Plus David & Sarah's chemistry is mad electifying. I've been sort of re-watching and its funny to go back and find things you miss. Angel was mad flirting with her in the beginning and he made the first move when telling her he wanted to kiss her. He was already gone on her before she met him.
Cas&Angel4ever
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star wrote:
Yes, I have to agree that I didn't 'get' B/A at first. I always thought Angel was cute, and I liked him with Buffy, but it wasn't until Season 2 that the show really grabbed me.

They get us in the end... Smile

I have loved reading all this posts of when Bangel got into your heart. For me it was the moment that Angel said "I don't bite"I fainted!😍 since that moment they were my couple they were worth all the pain that came afterwards.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had watched 10 minutes of Buffy and turned it off, thinking it was a show about teens.

Which it was but oh so much more.

My boss at the time told me he was watching a show called Angel and thought it was brilliant. I tuned in, realised that this was a vampire show that had started off in the Buffy verse. I had to catch up on Buffy and I was so glad that I did. Angel is still my fav. character as it is a show for the more mature audience....*cough*

Laughing

Ares
Cas&Angel4ever
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ares wrote:
I had watched 10 minutes of Buffy and turned it off, thinking it was a show about teens.

Which it was but oh so much more.

My boss at the time told me he was watching a show called Angel and thought it was brilliant. I tuned in, realised that this was a vampire show that had started off in the Buffy verse. I had to catch up on Buffy and I was so glad that I did. Angel is still my fav. character as it is a show for the more mature audience....*cough*

Laughing

Ares

Just so true! Angel has my love for eternity 😍
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I loved them from the beginning and I'm not ashamed to say that part of my love for BTVS is due to Bangel. In fact, when Angel went away, my interest has shifted on ATS, I entered into that damned fog and I went with Angel to LA and I went back to Sunnydale every time he came back. (Only a year after I started again watching BTVS regularly). As I said I loved them immediately, but to me they become my "OTP" in "What's My Line"
That scene is powerful for me, she loves him despite the demon and she sees the man which is in him. She can see in him something that he doesn't yet know to have. His humanity. When you love someone this's the way it works. The person who loves, through intuition, sees something that only her/he can see because it looks with different eyes.

ANGEL: It's not that. I...
BUFFY: What?
ANGEL: You shouldn't have to touch me when I'm like this.
BUFFY: Oh. I didn't even notice.

Kissing Angel when he's still in vamp-face, to me implies that Buffy has accepted his demonic nature and loves everything about him. She loves Angel in his whole being.

"I just know that when you're around, whether I see you or not, I feel you. Inside."

Last edited by janas on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nods* to everything you said.

Almost every episode with Angel in BTVS is my favourite. What's My Line is right up there at the top.

It's amazing how shows like Angel and Buffy have drawn so many people together, and the discussion and fiction that has come about is equally amazing.

Ares
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile if I'm still here to feel emotions (for better or for worse) even for a stupid comic, surely there must be a reason.

"I just know that when you're around, whether I see you or not, I feel you. Inside."
RomancexGirl
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I started shipping B/A like it was yesterday. I was late to the game. Started watching Buffy around S4-ish. Buffy and Angel were broken up by then obviously and I didn't have their background. Ironically the very first Buffy scene I ever saw out of anything was Spike's death and Buffy's "I love you" in S7 (That is 100% completely true ... which is why it astounds me even more I was never a true Spuffy shipper).

The first full episode I saw tho? That was Pangs. I saw how much Angel trying to protect Buffy, how much he cared about her, how Buffy sensed him and how hard he was trying to stay out of her life. I really felt for Angel and had some curiosity. Didn't ship it though.

Then I saw IWRY. It ruined every other ship paired with Angel or Buffy for me. Everything I think about B/A I associate with that episode. They were just so perfect together and Angel was so self-sacrificing. I just knew he'd love her forever, even when Buffy tried to move on and "forgot." That final scene with Buffy leaving with no memory and Angel watching was literally a rare scene that encompassed everything B/A would endure until they ever got together again. Angel's feelings just ... Buffy's my favorite character and I will always be steadfast about that, but the way Angel loves her is one of the most heart-breakingly beautiful, tragic things I've ever seen. It's the rarest kind of love. I wish Buffy would remember in the comics just how special it is to ever be loved like that and to still be loved like that even after all this time. I know Spike loves her too, but ... it's just not the same. Angel gave up everything for her. More than she knows. Spike didn't.

I've tried to ship other ships. I try so hard with Spuffy and tried even harder with Cangel which was actually very healthy ... but it just doesn't feel right. The thing I can't tolerate about Spuffy mainly is Spike's selfishness. He never seriously tried to do the right thing and give Buffy something better than "demons and darkness". At least not like Angel. He always comes back. What Buffy needs is something that lasts. Something that won't hurt her and gives her a real future. A normal relationship. Buffy deserves that and Angel loves her enough to know that. Spike doesn't or if he does, he doesn't care. I'm not sure how Spike, in any capacity, is a better fit for her just because of that. He doesn't love her enough to let her go. Angel does.
Bangelfan4life
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Bangel fan from the first episode I watched. The more I watched the bigger fan I became. I will never not love the relationship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: