Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy # 17 Issue Discussion Thread.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Buffy # 17 Issue Discussion Thread. Reply with quote

Preview pages for Buffy # 17.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-10-17-dark-horse-comics-2015

EXCL. PREVIEW: Prepare for Battle in Gage & Isaacs' "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #17

Buffy devises a plan for defeating Archaeus in Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs' "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #17 from Dark Horse.

Tensions are on the rise as the gang goes in search of an ancient enemy—Archaeus. Split into teams, Angel and Xander are able to connect over themes of betrayal and love lost, while Buffy pushes Spike to keep his insecurities in check. But they quickly discover there are much more dangerous things to battle as they close in on the demon lord.

*Angel and Buffy crossover event!

Last edited by comic fan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:55 am; edited 4 times in total
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I enjoyed reading that snippet, especially the conversation between Angel and Xander.

Quote:
I drank. Then I killed people. A LOT of people. Now I kill demons. And sometimes drink.

God, I miss Angel.

Thanks again.

Ares
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the question is: What deserves Xander for doing, essentially, the same thing he accuses Angel?
Angel knows that he's went too far, and Xander know it? He, who always judges everyone, knows he has betrayed Buffy and deserve an equal... which I know? at least a slap? Xander beat up Angel when he couldn't defend himself, and this not makes me more sympathetic the dear old Xander. He beat up Angel why was right? Or just to vent his anger issues?

Ares, yes. I'm surprised how Gage manages to capture Angel's voice, whereas I hate the way he characterizes Buffy, making her almost unrecognizable. Gage (imo) fails to capture Buffy's voice.

"I just know that when you're around, whether I see you or not, I feel you. Inside."
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Xander beat up Angel when he couldn't defend himself,

I don't think Angel wanted to defend himself after he realized that Giles was dead.... he could have torn Xander limb from limb if he hadn't believed that he deserved the beating. He warns Xander that Archaeous and his minions won't just lay there and take it......implying that that's what he himself did. Angel laid back and took it willingly. He allowed Xander to beat him up, but he made it clear to Xander that that's the only reason Xander was able to beat him up....and Xander agreed that it was true. There's just no way Xander is equal in strength and fighting ability to Angel.

Which is kinda cool considering Buffy's words about smartly splitting into teams of equal firepower. She and Spike are more equal in strength and fighting ability than Angel and Xander are, and I think that says a great deal about the way she thinks of Angel. She's depending on him to take up the slack in Xanders lack of ability and still be equal to her and Spike combined. You gotta love it. Very Happy I wonder if Gage realized what he was writing.

Quote:
I'm surprised how Gage manages to capture Angel's voice, whereas I hate the way he characterizes Buffy, making her almost unrecognizable. Gage (imo) fails to capture Buffy's voice.

Janas, I agree. Gage has Angel's voice down pat. I believe he loves the Angel character. And for me nobody can get Buffy's voice right except for Joss. Also I hate the way Buffy is drawn now, and I miss Georges sooo much.
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonnaleah, as I love RI's art (see Angel's facial expression in this preview, it's almost perfect), but I miss Georges Jeanty too.

"I just know that when you're around, whether I see you or not, I feel you. Inside."
CrystalSC
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much much much prefer RI's art. Though Georges was lovely when I met him, his art is just not my favorite.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First advanced Buffy # 17 review.

http://www.wickedhorror.com/horror-reviews/comic-review-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-17/

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #17

July 17, 2015By Nat Brehmer

This issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is, like the last, focused primarily on character interaction, which is a little strange considering that the last issue ended with everyone heading out to the big fight. Here, they’re looking for that fight for the bulk of the time until it really gets underway at the end. Part of the crossover event sees the gang split into two teams, where we get a lot of good relationship talk amongst the characters. Some of it is really neat because it centers on characters that have never really gotten the chance to interact before.

A scene between Dawn and Angel is pretty cool to see, in particular. They never interacted on the show but, retroactively, Dawn would have been a major part of the first three seasons where she must have had some kind of interaction with Angel that we never even got to see. It’s a complicated situation, but one that writer Christos Gage handles fairly delicately.

Willow and Angel, on sort of the opposite note, used to have an interesting—non-romantic—chemistry in the early seasons of the show that had all but disappeared by the end of his time on the show. So it’s just as nice to see a scene between them. She has some good advice, too, about how to deal with relationships with mortals considering she had just broken up with her immortal snake goddess girlfriend. It’s probably a little unfair to say Angel hasn’t changed much since he got his soul back, though. Yes, there are aspects of his character that will always be the same, but he developed so much on Angel just from the character he had been for three seasons of Buffy.

The most unexpected conversation, though, is the one between Xander and Angel. It really goes to show how much all of these characters have changed, even over the course of the comic series. These two guys hate each other, at least they have in the past. But now there’s an understanding between them. Xander’s had uncontrollable anger he’s trying to treat that gives him a sense of respect for Angel. And Angel now has to deal with Buffy dating probably the last person on Earth he’d like to see her with and that gives him an understanding of how Xander felt during the early years of the series.

But Xander doesn’t have to apologize to Angel for beating him up, especially considering that all of these characters have kicked the crap out of each other at some point or another. Angel had just killed Giles at that time. The mentor and father figure to the entire group. Even if Angel was under the influence of Twilight when he did it, he is still responsible for everything he did. Which, at least, he admits to.

There’s plenty of action in this issue as well, but it almost feels out of place. There’s no real relation between the fighting and the conversation, the way there usually is. Buffy, however, has some truly badass moments both in the fight sequences and in her interactions with the others–particularly Angel. It’s so refreshing to see her talk to him like this for once. And it builds us to the showdown with the demon Archaeus and the fight that I think everyone was probably expecting.

WICKED RATING: 6 Stars (6 / 10)
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comic fan wrote:
And Angel now has to deal with Buffy dating probably the last person on Earth he’d like to see her with...

And nobody wonders why? Maybe because Angel is probably the only person on Earth who knows very well Spike? Rolling Eyes

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy #17 is already available through android’s app according to a report on Buffy forums.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Buffy # 17 review.

http://www.snappow.com/comics/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-10-17-review/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #17 Review

The creative team have been spinning a very interesting yarn over the course of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10, and since our favourite slayer hooked up with Spike, things have only gotten more enticing. Despite this, they’ve still managed to find some room for improvement, with the addition of Buffy’s former love, Angel, causing for some awkward, yet dramatic moments. Add to this their action packed quest to take down Archaeus and you get a comic that you won’t want to put down.

Having done an amazing job since taking over the franchise at the start of this series, Christos Gage continues to impress, with his work over these last few issues being some of his best to date. That continues as we enter the series’ seventeenth issue, with there being some great character depth and development throughout. Between the tension shared between Spike and Angel, the awkward situation Buffy is in, and the disheartenment that Angel feels given the way they last parted, there are a lot of emotions, all complementing one another. This is matched by fabulous drama, with the final moments being gripping to say the least.

Rebekah Isaacs also continues to impress with her fun, energetic art style, as though I’m still not impressed with our villain, Archaeus, she does a fantastic job on our main cast. She also manages to generate some wonderful energy through her layouts, as between the exciting action near the beginning and end, and the vivid scenery, there’s a dynamic tone that runs through this tale. Isaacs also manages to capture the various types of emotion that’s present in Gage’s script, with it adding great depth. This is all complimented wonderfully by Dan Jackson’s colours, with the bold colours adding a vibrant tempo.
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you get when you mix Something Blue with The Wish? A crazy universe in which Buffy thinks she loves Spike romantically and everyone thinks it's a good idea, Andrew's voice becomes the voice of reason, Xander and Angel become BFF...

Love Gage for giving Angel the best line in this issue and maintaining Spikes Ramblings of an idiot persona. Doesn't get any better than that.

Real memories knowing the difference can't come soon enough for me.

Irony= see above.
janas
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction after reading "this thing"?
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry ...I chose to laugh.

Angel has not changed from 1922 to today? Sure, why not?
But what Willow knows about Angel? She knows him well enough to make judgments?
Wesley, Cordelia, Lorne, Fred, Gunn and Connor know Angel, but Willow?

...While Spike is sooooo different (of course)
Oh Willow, you need to review a few things before making judgments so superficial...

and speaking of wishes ...if just that sword was made of wood, it wouldn't be better? Razz

bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Love Gage for giving Angel the best line in this issue and maintaining Spikes Ramblings of an idiot persona. Doesn't get any better than that.

Yeah Spike showed that he is still the cocky, self-absorbed blowhard ass he has always been..but he was right about one thing. The differences between him and Buffy, and Angel and Buffy "are" truly endless. Angel's love for Buffy is selfless. Angel's love for Buffy wants her happiness more than his own....he cares about her more than he cares for himself. Angel loved Buffy enough to want her to have a real life...one that includes sunshine and picnics. He didn't leave her all those years ago just so she could end up still living her life in the shadows with another vampire....and yet after being assured by Xander that Buffy seems happy with Spike, does anyone doubt that he will graciously accept it? Angel will accept it because he cares about Buffy being happy.

Spike on the other hand is so full of himself and his own wants that he doesn't care about giving Buffy sunshine and picnics. Spike doesn't know anything about selfless love or caring about another person more than himself. For all the worries about Angel showing up and acting immature....for those who didn't already know, Spike's cocky tirade should have answered the question of who the mature vampire really is.

I did like that Spike reckons it just a matter of time before Bufy comes to her senses. Interesting line.

So much about real memories, as opposed to fake memories in this issue. Starting with Angel and Dawn...and then Angel and Connor. Cheryl, I agree that Angel had the best line in the issue and it just kinda jumped out at me.

It's the real memories that matter most. On some level they know the difference. The best thing you can do for the people you love is make good memories for them. Real ones.

There's something screwy going on this season and it has to do with what's real and what's fake...be it love or memory. Too much emphasis on real this and real that for it to mean nothing. Probably gonna have to suffer till the last arc to find out though.

Janus, I had the exact same thought, lol. Too bad it wasn't a wooden stake through the heart.
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Bonnaleah, while I do agree that Spike has his blow hard moments I think the real issue is that up next to Angel, anyone appears much less. There is just nobody like Angel.

Irony= see above.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read it. Kind of weird. Lots of characters saying things to each other that would be wise in another context but don't really apply to any of their current relationships. Some recycled Spike vs. Angel jokes. Christos Gage still trying to speak directly to the reader through his dialogue. Great art.

I'd be game for using "Guard the rear" as a standard retort whenever fans start whining at each other.

Always nice to hear what you ladies have to say about it, though. I really hope that the theme of reality/wishful thinking comes to something at the end of the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: