Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LAND OF DENIAL GONE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: LAND OF DENIAL GONE? Reply with quote

http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=landofdenial&e=com

A Colorado phone number re buying landofdenial.com

So where is the archive NOW?

I am so glad I have chuckit25's stack of printed fic; I just always hope that people who have left fandom have grown and still feel that Buffy and Angel deserve such "benefit" and we do, too!

Admittedly, some archives are so bulky and difficult to access when longer works take endless clicking to navigate, while others might never see a new fic EVER.

Just wondering if anyone knew (or cared).

HUGS!
sybil

P.s.. I know it's hard to believe but I don't have a mobile phone--the cost is beyond me, so I can't even "log in" for many platforms--even my email is problematic because of this. Sorry.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I believe the site has closed, rather than moved.

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!! Heart At least, you are alive and I hope well! That's something good! hee

HUGS!
sybil
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy to be alive, thank you!

And, just for clarification, although I don't post much nowadays, I do check on the forum every day to make sure things are running smoothly.

I lurk a lot! Very Happy

NileQT87
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://web.archive.org/web/20150215100252/http://landofdenial.com/index1.html

Thankfully, it appears to be a site well-saved by the Wayback Machine. It was one of the best.

It would be nice if someone at one of the other major Angel or Bangel fanfic archives were able to move the whole archive to theirs. It would be a fantastic addition of high-quality fic and there's a lot of it! Perhaps contact whoever ran the site for permission and give them credit for their archive.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, MY, THANK YOU! (BFN-yourself Razz Mr. Green Embarassed )

I am running silent and running deep to check through this archive, as some of these writers did "stick" all these years later. I really do wish I had been better at thanking them, at the time--I do notice feed back options may be closed. But MOSTLY! I hope you know I really, I mean really do thank you! YOU have made me so happy and I hope just that makes you feel happy, too!

I don't know if one may move an entire archive; I mean I can't possibly know if any of these people wanted their stuff taken down? I recall an author I liked (Rachel Lynn Brody) asked for all her work to be pulled down everywhere--BTW she actually moved to Scotland and became a (literary) critic--ha!) I can't tell a lie, a friend printed her stuff for his (near blind)wife when it was okay to do so, if credit/disclaimer et al kept with it; and so I actually can't "take that down"--as it were..

However, it's wonderful to see your true love all shiny still, and yet also have the lens of time for discernment and a kind eye to brave people just "starting out."

The text index button still works, as well, (Sonja's links don't--title page--but we knew that... probably). That will get you deep into the archive, alphabetically by author for all the writers with a whole section of fic each that you may have missed. I tell you to grab this wonderful chance provided for work that will still amaze you or just tickle your fancy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150215100252/http://landofdenial.com/index1.html

Pay attention to a devoted fan, who cares for us to give us this opportunity!

Hugs!
sybil
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't generally let their websites run out if they still want them online, so it is highly unlikely that any would just let somebody else archive all of their hard work. Apart from anything else, webmaster/mistresses are like most writers in that they are fiercely protective of their content, and on somebody else's hosting, they have no control at all.

This is why I dislike wayback. Some of my old sites are up there, using content that I have removed for various reasons or replaced because the content wasn't good enough. And there it is, still available for all to see and its annoying. Added to this, many archives are very careful about obtaining permission to use an authors/artists/musicians/etc work all 200+ writers on Scribes of Angel have graciously given their blessing, for instance and to get permission to reuse all of that content is simply not practical. Not least because many writers have moved on and don't even read their fan emails any more. Smile

sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do so understand the beauty of "edit" and I do respect that anyone who "tunes in" to your work and then saves it in any manner MUST keep the "header" with the work.

However, I have had YEARS of these professionals in the comics and paid a pretty penny for the privilege, so I am going to go to HOG HEAVEN and enjoy these links to people who really put their hearts into their work and were willing to share it in the first place.

I already said I knew I changed a lot from the giddy/heady of trying to keep up with "everyone" who had a stray thought, but after the abuse we B/Aers have been through, I really don't mind a big fat WALLOW in a B/A SPA before "some people" lost their freaking minds; and yes, I do include Joss and Marti Noxon among them. Just because they are the original creators does not mean I'm a pillowy cushion to every single thing the trots out of their behinds--even Joss said he could ignore "canon" anytime he felt like it for some other "project." Yeah. That's been real good. Just wonderful.

Thanks SO MUCH for the links--I hadn't heard of Way Back, so YEA!--and and I'm sorry Dark Star you feel "burned" in reworking your efforts. However, you do have those connections through the Dark Star verse that bring people here, so I imagine those are more than trusted.

HUGS!
sybil
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sybil. I'm not feeling burned so much as... sad. Making a webspace, especially a big or long-running one, takes a staggering amount of work and months, or years, of paying the bills and then somebody takes it without asking. That's just not nice.

What I would like to see is more new stuff being produced in the fandom! Actually, that would make a good forum thread if anyone wants to start it. ..

NileQT87
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said without asking. If you see above, I said that maybe someone could try the contact links (if they're still valid e-mail addresses--the dated AOL account bit gives me pause there).

I don't doubt that the decision was monetary. The owner of the site might consider someone else picking up the site's contents in a move somewhere else.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never said without asking. If you see above, I said that maybe someone could try the contact links (if they're still valid e-mail addresses--the dated AOL account bit gives me pause there).

I wasn't referring to your comment, only to the Wayback itself. They have taken other people's work and archived it without their permission. I'm aware that the Wayback is a non-profit organisation but the fact remains that they are using other people's websites. And, I might point out, that not all of them are our for-fun fan websites.

No offence was meant to you, NileQT87, I was just expressing a personal opinion. Not something I do much these days! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: