Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SDCC19:BOOM Studios Panel Tomorrow.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM Buffy May 2019 solicitation

https://www.newsarama.com/44066-boom-studios-may-2019-solicitations.html

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER VOL. 1 SC

Retail Price : $14.99
Writer: Jordie Bellaire
Artist: Dan Mora
Cover Artist: Matthew Taylor

Synopsis:
- Go back to the beginning as the critically acclaimed pop culture phenomenon Buffy The Vampire Slayer is reimagined under the guidance of series creator Joss Whedon.
- This is the Buffy Summers you know, who wants what every average teenager wants: friends at her new school, decent grades, and to escape her imposed destiny as the next in a long line of vampire slayers tasked with defeating the forces of evil.
- But her world looks a lot more like the one outside your window, as Jordie Bellaire ( Redlands ) and Russ Manning Award-Winner Dan Mora ( Saban’s Go Go Power Rangers ) bring Buffy into a new era with new challenges, new friends...and a few enemies you might already recognize. But the more things change, the more they stay the same, as the Gang faces brand new Big Bads, and the threat lurking beneath the perfectly manicured exterior of Sunnydale High confirms what every teenager has always known: high school truly is hell.

- WELCOME BACK TO THE HELLMOUTH, FOR THE FIRST TIME!
- Collects issues #1-4

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNDkvMjQ5L29yaWdpbmFsL0J1ZmZ5VmFtcGlyZVNsYXllcl92MV9TQy5qcGc/MTU1MTEyMzk0Nw==

Hmm,unless I missed it,I don't see the solicictation for the next issue which should be issue 5,I believe.

Last edited by comic fan on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wenxina has a advanced review of tomorrow's Buffy # 2.

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/press/reviews/item/9721-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-2-advance-comic-book-review
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second advanced review for tomorrows's Buffy # 2.

https://www.newsarama.com/44093-best-shots-advance-reviews-mage-the-hero-denied-15-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-2-forgotten-queen-1.html

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #2

Written by Jordie Bellaire
Art by Dan Mora and Raúl Angulo
Lettering by Ed Dukeshire
Published by BOOM! Studios
Review by Richard Gray

'Rama Rating: 9 out of 10

“‘90s reference!” quips Buffy. “Powerful stuff.” When Buffy the Vampire Slayer first premiered on television a staggering 23 years ago, one of its defining features was its sharply contemporary outlook. Writer Jordie Bellaire is keenly aware of this in her reimagining of the cult series, a concept that will always have one foot in 1996 and the other firmly planted in 2019. Yet Bellaire proves with this second issue that no cow is completely sacred, offering interesting new takes on characters that dovetail into topical conversations.

Case in point is Cordelia Chase, described by Willow upon her reintroduction as “so nice and beautiful and smart.” Old-school fans will know that Cordy spent her initial appearances as a minor antagonist for the Scooby Gang, and this bit of unbalance offers a different vantage point for the existing audience. Newbies will still quite happily enjoy the intrigue of seeing the environmentally conscious Cordelia get drawn in by the magnetic qualities of the blonde stranger in a leather coat. Those taking their second trip through the Hellmouth may ponder what this more enigmatic Spike has in store for the the reigning Ms. Sunnydale.

As Bellaire weaves in these altered elements - and new ones like Buffy’s potential love interest Robin - you may not notice what she’s cleverly done with Xander. Which is kind of the point: as Willow’s blissful relationship with Rose, Cordy’s campaign for school president, and Buffy’s slayer duties continue, Xander is completely sidelined. It’s leading to a potentially interesting thematic union of high school isolation and entitlement, and using the beloved character of Xander as a vehicle for this might be her masterstroke.

If some of these changes are your idea of a nightmare, then artists Dan Mora and Raúl Angulo have anticipated your unease. The issue opens with a red-drenched corridor, peppered with zombified versions of familiar characters and several Dutch tilts for good measure. As Giles’ jaw unhinges like a python ready to feast, Buffy 2019 marks itself as a comic willing to serve up some genuine chills alongside the wry comedy.

Mora and Angulo maintain a faithful look and feel during the body of this issue, keeping the lights turned all the way up for the sunniest dale of them all. Character designs match the likenesses of the actors who filled the original roles, although the the artists have updated their wardrobes to match these modern times. Where they really get to cut loose is during the Druscilla/Anya scenes, a Gothic inspired sequence that ends with the reveal of a new demonic entity.

There will be readers who might wonder why this ‘remake’ is needed at all, but reimagining superheroes is a tradition at least as old as the medium of comics. Bellaire, Mora, and Angulo aren’t just remixing a classic TV show but breaking it down to its component parts and rebuilding it for a generation who may not have a connection to the original. By the time we get to the powerful final panels of this sophomore issue, Bellaire has shown us that this Buffy the Vampire Slayer redux is not only welcome, but absolutely necessary for modern audiences.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you maintain the greatest heavy lifting I can think for the fandom on this board, I think the oddness, yet clear attention to character, is clear, for most people who have even looked at Boom! Or this board…. But, I just gotta put in a word to my intrepid hero, comic for his notes, and, my favorite, to just add that big snort, oh, let me count the ways, for;

“Spordelia.”

Hee!

HUGS!
sybil

Thanks, btw, for the warning on Angel. Looking at spike, I think they are flipping the characters and making Angel soulless, as you said before these hit ink, and therefore, he'll be more of the element of chaos. I can't see how any Angel 'purist' is gonna be upset when NONE of these people act "old school." P.S. That nightmare is spoilery enough, I 'd say. Ya?

Me, again.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have my copy this weekend.

REVIEW: In Buffy the Vampire Slayer #2, Everything Old Is New Again

CBR Exclusives
Feb 28, 2019

The second issue of BOOM! Studios' Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot by Jordie Bellaire and Dan Mora serves as a wider reintroduction to Sunnydale.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-2-review/
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my copy of Buffy # 2 yesterday.

I'll try to keep this short.

I enjoyed it.I like the new updated version of characters.I find it ironically fun that Joyce is basically the original(well TV) Buffy now.A teen of the 90s.I also like the twist that Joyce has a boyfriend.The opening reminded me of Bumblebee with
Charlie(Hailee Steinfeld) and her mother having a boyfriend.The guy was generally a good guy and Charlie finally accepts him and shows affection for him by the end of the movie.I actually hope Eric turns out to be a good guy because it will give a different family dynamic then the show.

After two issues I can say Buffy herself feels a little different then SMG's but I'm okay with that sicne this is a reboot.

Giles still feels like early season Giles and I like his dynamic with Buffy.

I like the feel of Willow.Feels more modern.

Not sure about Cordy yet.Need another issus to get a handle on her.

Spike feels very Angel like based on my first impressionDru I'm taking as almost a new character.Very differnet feel from the show.

I'm very intrigued with Xander.I do think something bad is coming for him by the end of this first arc.

So two issues in,I'm digging it.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I can’t understand this Buffy, actually. Very little "show" of "from whence" her damage comes.

She was "too far down the line' into 'normal' to make even her slayer dreams anything more than "private"--I mean, re: the lying and the "monsters,"--"everybody knows" with no problems--REALLY? Xander's private hell is completely alarming aka 'not metaphoric."

I think that positive or negative, there are some things that are literally in your DNA, e.g. 'shyness' or anxious and Nurture may overcome nature, but there has to be something showing us Buffy is simply 'not normal' and is why she ever craved it?

Again, Buffy has nightmares, which may be prophetic—or not—with a world that really isn’t all that horrific "on the surface"--and that was the "main" trope that reality is "inside" or 'underneath.'

This Buffy already seems to have good support, actually.

I already said it; I mean thinking the worst possible is actually focused in Xander’s isolation—the public smile, the private hell; he is making efforts to “cry for help” but isn’t being heard. So, does "prophetic Dru" actually hear him because she actually reads the blogs to control the environment for "her family?" This one has obvious power and rearranges the Fang Gang dynamics, fer shur.

Also with Buffy, a child may hold ‘loyalty’ issues with a divorced parent, whether for reason or desire, so far, Buffy’s discomfort at home is with the very notion of any ‘change' in her mother's sitch. The funny once was in "wild child" Joyce--the pill changed everything in personal autonomy in not being slaves to biology--and the (heart broken) real world Joyce, half absent and half exhausted, I once knew. Yes, "steady" which is why 'robotic, back an d forth a day TED was believable.

This guy has been in Joyce's life for a long time and he is merely trying to include Buffy into giving a new family a chance. Buffy is into some new guy and what she expects from a date (NOWADAYS) is also not clear. Lonely? Really? Horny? seeking 'norms', status, praise, confidante? NO idea. Why? Who is this Robin? MAJOR SECRETS?

Perhaps, this world of Buffy is indeed the alternative “what if” in which everyone is turned and Buffy’s isolation in fighting off the entirety of the world is couched in those she now “counts on?” Thus, the bizarre Spike and Cordy reflect this indeed “Bizarro world,’ as Cordy once coined. Buffy didn’t save them all, a lot.

Honestly, I will not accept "the show" of a child molester/raper Angel(us)—his versions of torture were extremely pointed and, thus, intellectual since he really didn’t have any humanity in him. That idea of extreme ‘ends” for a new Angel into some gradual growth guy, as was chosen for Spike, failed me utterly. particularly in the use of "behaviorism" as THE methodology for personality rather than even Jung. People are not merely "dogs" to habituate and "presto" all cured. Those who are extremely logical and rational about themselves anyway will see the false logic of certain conclusions made in choice. This show speaks to "emotional" logic, IMO, which is just as important, particularly in neurosis, IMO!

Therefore, while accepting an entirely new “world” I can’t quite aaccept totally unrecognizeable people. After all, even Trek kept the characters “recognizable” despite slightly different approaches or reactions to known canon—mostly greater emotional reveals--to those back stories. Phone tech is not going to be “emotional” other than in the aspects of “piling on’ or the actual “abandonment’ sense in no responses to one’s existence..

That is why the ‘show’ of Xander is effective. So far, a big fat picture of bizarre world in Buffy’s mind is all there is to actually go on, other than Spordelia. And, I also miss the David’s Star for Willow, which is sincerely older in symbolic depiction, a depiction also of ‘union of opposities” in this wiccan/pagan idea that is left to a wax/waning moon, she now wears—also ‘horns’ that have many metaphors, including the ‘horns of a dilemma.’

Dunno, if I buy it that people who are not traumatized still don’t have serious issues with their own views of others, of their place in relationships being made, in their views of the world and their places in it,

I have to accept changes in character (based on previous choices) might make a VIEW of generalized "dough people." And that is not true of young people (or ANY people, for that matter), who meet problems with great intensity and personal evaluation, even if adults "write it off" as just "ignorant young people.' I emphatically do not.

Those things that are considered or seen as important to one's "survival" are the 'how" of decision making and all those things that are NOT considered, are a kind of narrowing of POV, in making choices. Xander can't believe "it get's better," or that he really is not alone, for examples, and yet, we can't know how HE has experienced and evaluated that experience in his own life. Yet.

May I mention I will be watching for the turn that someone who suddenly seems peaceful, "too happy" is a person who rhas "solved the problem" and eally is in danger of suicide? For this story, NOT by cop, but by vamp? Wasn't that originally William's choice?

Agreed with the art, particularly between Buffy’s nightmare world and “normal.” I am trying to understand choices in colors. Joss’s use was very mythical in meaning.

Dunno, if I feel I am getting anywhere, yet….his getting along is fal
HUGS!
Sybil

P.S. I always had Xander and Angel as actual hard won friends in my fanon--a bit of "like with like" that was the reason Xander could even annoy Angel at all beyond the Buffy factor. (a bit lazy-hazy dreamer?)

Can't type; slow connection. Will try to fix some of this; sorry for the rest.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More covers and preview pages for BOOM! Buffy # 3.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?21162-New-Buffy-series-from-BOOM!-officially-announced!&p=744657#post744657

trackmaster09
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comic fan wrote:
Another interview

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/23/why-boom-studios-decided-to-reboot-buffy-the-vampire-slayer

Why BOOM! Studios Decided to Reboot Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Buffy is ready to rule 2019.

By Jesse Schedeen

It's a time of major upheaval for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise. Not only is there a new TV series in the works, Dark Horse Comics' long-running Buffy continuation finally reached its end last year with Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12 #4. Now the franchise has made a new home at BOOM! Studios (alongside fellow Joss Whedon creation Firefly).

BOOM! has made a very interesting choice with its first major Buffy project. Rather than attempt to pick up where Season 12 left off, the new series serves as a completely fresh start for Buffy and the Scooby Gang. Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 reboots the entire saga from the beginning. All the same ingredients are still in place, but the characters and situations have been re-imagined to suit 2019.

We recently had a chance to talk with Executive Editor Jeanine Schaefer and writer Jordie Bellaire about the origins of this new series and why it was necessary to give Buffy a fresh start. First, check out our exclusive preview of issue #2. Then scroll down to find out more about what makes this new series so different.

Why Reboot Buffy?

Between the seven seasons of the original Buffy TV series, five seasons of the Angel spinoff and 11 years' worth of comic book continuations, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer is nothing if not a sprawling epic. And according to Schaefer, that was one of the reasons the choice was made to reboot Buffy and her world rather than continue where Dark Horse ended in Buffy Season 12.

"Dark Horse did such a great job with the book," Schaefer said. "They did so much with it, and they were really able to not only explore every corner of the Buffy universe, but also took her so far as a person and took her relationships so far. So as we were thinking about it, it feels really closed. It feels like they brought her to such a great point."

Instead, the goal became to re-examine Buffy in a way that would appeal even more directly to contemporary readers. Schaefer said, "Buffy is still so relevant now in 2019. The themes and the emotional arcs and her as a character are still very relevant for kids in 2019. We thought we should give kids now their Buffy. Make a Buffy for kids now. Once we started talking about it, it was a no-brainer. All of the possibilities we have in front of us right now - it’s really exciting."

On Joss Whedon's Involvement

Whedon took a fairly active role in the development of Dark Horse's Buffy comics, including personally scripting several storylines on Buffy Season 8. We were curious if Whedon is taking a similarly hands-on role with this series.

According to Schaefer, Whedon isn't quite as directly involved in the production of the new BOOM! series, though he did provide valuable input in the initial stages.

Schaefer said, "He got our initial outline. We sat down with him and walked him through what was in the outline and then some of the finer points of some of the character arcs. That’s really what he was most concerned about. And just some of the bigger ideas we had. He was really excited, particularly about two of the character points. Unfortunately, I can’t talk about them, but you’ll know it when you see it."

Schaefer continued, "He also gave us a couple of challenges and some big questions that he wanted us to answer before we could move forward. Because this is something that’s so important to him. I’m happy to say we were able to answer those questions for him in a way that he was really excited about. He gets the scripts as we move forward, and he’s really given us his blessing here, which we’re really excited about."

We were also curious how Bellaire dealt with the challenge of trying to channel Whedon's distinctive voice while still bringing her own personal touch to the series. Bellaire described it as a mostly "instinctual" process, one aided by her long-time love of both the Buffy and Firefly franchises.

"I guess because I’m such a big Joss fan, between Firefly and Buffy, I think that’s really ingrained in my brain anyway," Bellaire said. "It’s lovely stuff. It’s fun. It’s harrowing. It’s upbeat in places. I think it’s really informed who I am as a writer anyway. Approaching it, I think I’m already kind of working in the vein, but trying to give it my own voice, too."

A Tale of Two Reboots

BOOM's decision to reboot Buffy is all the more interesting given that this comic won't be the only attempt at updating the TV series for a modern audience. Whedon himself is also executive producing a reboot TV series, one that features Monica Owusu-Breen as showrunner and is said to feature an African American lead (though whether or not this character is actually Buffy Summers remains unclear).

We wanted to know if there were any concerns about two distinct Buffy reboots debuting within a relatively short span of time. https://www.zetaclearcenter.com/ Schaefer downplayed the idea that the new comic and TV series might step on each other's toes.

I think one of the beautiful things about Buffy is that the universe is so rich and so wide that there’s plenty of room for us to do what we’re doing and to have them do that too," she said. "We talked to them early on, and we’re both aware of what the other is doing. And we’re both really excited that we’re coming out in tandem. I think it’s great. I mean, more Buffy is always better, right?"

How the Saga Is Changing

The first issue of the new series offers some superficial signs of how Sunnydale has changed in the shift from the late '90s to 2019. However, we were curious what Schaefer and Bellaire saw as the fundamental difference between the classic Buffy era and this reboot. What makes Buffy's story so different this time around?

According to Bellaire, a lot of it boils down to 21st technology and the increased sense of interconnectivity in this age of smartphones and social media. She said, "Jeanine and I talked a lot about how we’re more connected than ever, whether that’s for better or for worse. It can kinda go both ways. I think it’s going to make a lot of our kids more confident, as well as a little more pressured to perform. There’s such an issue of connectivity. Again, not that it’s a bad thing. But sort of - all eyes are on you at every moment. That Slayer thing that she’s got all this pressure on her - we’re going to explore something like that and how it’s not just a Slayer that feels that way. Everybody feels immense amounts of pressure."

The first issue also makes some significant changes to the general Buffy plot, culminating with the unexpectedly early debut of Drusilla on the final page. Bellaire noted that she was conscious of a need not to adhere to the formula of the TV series too closely.

"In a weird way, I’m just kind of letting Sunnydale just write itself as I write it, without sounding pretentious," said Bellaire. "It’s been kind of happening like that naturally. I don’t know how much I’ve actually planned on when I reveal Dru versus when I reveal Cordie. I’m happy to say I do have Cordelia showing up, because I love Cordelia and think she’s essential to Sunnydale. She's going to be a very different person. But Dru is just taking the role of Master, which we saw pretty early on in the Buffy stuff. It’s important that we got to her really quick, because she’s going to be Buffy’s antagonist - woman on woman - in this arc."

Schaefer also revealed that the first year of the series has been mapped out, teasing that some more major changes to the familiar Buffy saga will be arriving when that first year wraps.

Will Classic Buffy Return?

For all the excitement surrounding this rebooted take on Buffy, there's no ignoring the fact that some fans are concerned about losing the version of the character they had been following for the past 11 years in Dark Horse's comics. It's a situation not unlike that of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, where decades' worth of novels and comics were wiped out of continuity in order to make way for Disney's new sequel movies. Those old stories may remain in print, but Disney has yet to revisit the old Expanded Universe through new projects.

With that in mind, we were curious to know whether BOOM! might have plans to explore the classic Buffy universe in future projects. When the Buffy license was first revealed to be shifting to BOOM! last year, the publisher indicated that multiple comics were in the works.

Schaefer indicated that she and her colleagues are very aware of the concerns of long-time Buffy fans, drawing a comparison to a different long-running sci-fi property. "That is the biggest concern we’ve heard, and I totally get that. When Star Trek rebooted - I’m a huge Star Trek fan in my blood. My mom is a huge Star Trek fan. I loved the original series and Next Generation. I was nervous about the 2009 reboot. That’s something that was really important to us. These are the sorts of questions we’re using as our road map going forward. So I can’t give anything away and I can’t say much about what our plans in terms of a larger universe are, but I will say that it’s something we’re really aware of and something that’s important to us."

Keep it coming man. I need my Buffy daily doze. Surprised
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advanced reviews for tomorrow's Buffy # 3.

https://www.youdontreadcomics.com/comics/2019/3/11/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-3-review

https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co/review-laying-the-groundwork-on-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-3/

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/press/reviews/item/9758-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-3-advance-comic-book-review
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, comic! And Super hug welcome, trackmaster09.

I am in agreement most with that last reviewer. I have been telling myself that this entire series would be like Star Trek's reboot, with the characters somewhat changed because of experiences in a different timeline (and considering the biggest "time line" cafooeydoodle was set up in the comics. NOt to mention, they provided these endless side treks to alternative worlds--PLEASE skip the space ships, jakers, I really don't like that in "Classically set" in world myths. When these things were done on the astral plane, ghost road, and even the drug induced, personal POV of seeing 'internal worlds" I could go with that.

As I said, this Buffy is too settled in slayer ville. I don't feel sorry for her seeking normal because her mother is moving on with her life. WHAT LIFE is BUFFY NOT MOVING ON FROM?

I still feel that writers have one juob: KNOW YOUR OWN STORY, beginning to end and THEN spill it. after all these are comic books and the graphic arts have to "fit in the blanks."

Anywho, this is the cover I don't like. It looks photoshopped. ANd, the Anya look was confusing to me, too.

Does anyone thinks Spike acts too Angel? I do. And, of course, the real truth of 'who counts" in the Buffy story that made this series so wildly popular on TV, as far as "who ever heard of" kinds of tv, was BUFFY AND ANGEL! I am sure they are taking their time before putting him in because they don't want to "upset" older fans of the original.

Since they already have Bufy comfortable slaying, they can't use Angel as a harbinger, as even Joss originally would have. (In order to have him mope around in his own series and miraculously decide he is an existential atheist...Joss.

Of course, they just might avoid the whole epic romance altogether. He might even be merely mortal, like some horrible jerk, or Owen, or worse, Riley. (Yes, in my fanon I want Angel and Xander to "get along" because Xander seriously needs redemption from his jerkdom. This depressed guy might make that possible; unless they make him gay and break his heart to bitties for being in love with a vampire, aka BLONDIE BEAR?) ha! Epic romance?

Put lots of "tongue in cheek" and don't hold these guys to the old story. It's already all different and 'complaining" about these new people might get explanation, but, as I said, they already seem to be different people with the old ones more imposed on them, like looking through a filter lens.

Just sayin' Because Joss is unable to understand why his own PILLARS of story telling require he actually conclude the very myths he SHOWED yet shunted aside for more "wagon training" (learning), his conclusions are NOT "of the story." The conclusions for both series are pedestrian, worse, miraculous and character assassinating, the entirety redirected to unwatchable side casts, and worst of all, BAD STORY TELLING.

Don't get your hopes up for a "dose of Buffy" in any real form here, other than your own additions being imposed upon these people. They already are NOT the characters you once loved and knew so intimately.

HUGS!
sybil
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cbr.com/review-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-3/

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #3 is Fun, But Has An Identity Problem

Reimagining Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a new audience is by no means a bad idea, but will hardcore fans accept it? They should

by Mike Fugere
– on Mar 13, 2019

Reimagining Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a new audience is by no means a bad idea. After all, the original 1992 film got a fresh start in the form the ridiculously popular television series a few years later, and it worked like gangbusters. All the kinks were worked out (more or less). The concept of a vapid teenage girl becoming a tough-as-nail vampire hunter is one that had room to breathe, and turned into something bigger than its humble beginnings. The growth Buffy experienced was organic, unfolding over the course of several seasons of storytelling that were completely disconnected from the original film.

BOOM! Studios' new comic is taking a similar approach as the show, but with a wider breadth of characters and mythology. Buffy the Vampire Slayer #3 does a lot right in terms of channeling the same youthful, spunky energy of previous incarnations of the property, while the comic struggles through growing pains.

In some ways, Jordie Bellaire and Dan Mora's position is unenviable. Even with the guiding hand of creator Joss Whedon helping them along the way. Buffy fans can be rather ravenous. The characters are as important and well-defined as just about any long-standing comic book character. For better or worse, there are always going to be certain expectations for a reboot or reimaging of a character so many people hold dear to their hearts. Thankfully, Bellaire and Mora have done an admirable job so far in capturing the camp and heart of what made the television show so charming in the first place.
The third issue follows our hero as she deals with a giant, talking bat plaguing Sunnydale, though it might be more complicated than a simple giant monster of the week. The manner in which Buffy, Spike, and other residents react to this creature is one of the main sources of comedy; the ever-persistent in-joke regarding how nonchalant everyone in town seems to be over events of this scale comes across wonderfully.

While it's hard to say this issue was something phenomena, it was most certainly on brand for the character. My history with the intellectual property Buffy the Vampire Slayer runs deep, but it was never paramount to my fandom. The original film, starring Kristy Swanson and the late, great Luke Perry, was in constant rotation among my collection of VHS tapes. Part of the fascination was the fact that Pee Wee Herman played a vampire in it. There was something about seeing a figure who was a Saturday morning staple suddenly being portrayed as a blood-sucking monster that was simply captivating. By the time the show premiered, my love for the film had mostly waned, but was never snuffed out completely.

When the show arrived in 1997, I was already a teenager, and the younger, dumber version of myself scoffed at the idea of a new version of Buffy. The scoffing persisted for a few years until my mother and brother got into the show in a big, bad way; by this time it was syndicated, and the final season was airing. I didn't become a sudden Buffy devotee, but I did have a renewed appreciation for the character. I get a similar feeling to this new comic book series.

There is a lot of like about this series so far, but if you aren't on board by this issue, it's hard to tell if subsequent releases will change your mind. Beside the solid in-character jokes and plotting, the art is quite good. Mora's page layouts flow well, and the larger splash scenes involving this issue's monster look great. However, the degree to which Spike looks like James Marsters contrasting with how little Buffy looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar is a little off-putting. It would work better if everyone looks like they did in the show, or if they were all drawn differently.

It's hard to tell who this comic book is for. It might appease hardcore Buffy fans the same way the Ultimate imprint for Marvel appeased longtime fans who wanted something fresh, or maybe it will push them away. It's hard to tell in the current climate of fandom how the masses will react to something like this. Is Buffy a sacred cow? Not for everyone, she isn't, but for some, she may very well be, which is a shame because this series is familiar enough to be recognizable, but fresh enough to feel like something shiny and new.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It might appease hardcore Buffy fans"

Well, old or new, it would seem that it might be good to actually have BUFFY IN HER OWN BOOK. The tv show went off the rails with the Spike show and we get to do THAT again.

With the character 'deodorant spray" of we are so clean and shiny (rather than shallow and/or "sheep") I am not really understanding some of this issue. Seriously. It says one thing, shows another--noteven sure female only requirement for slayer, even; and all I got to say is that Angel and Darla must be the big bads to come NEXT issue? FINALLY??

Are you confused, comic? Do you notice pushing Buffy out of the way too much just to put people in a panel that are NOT "main' characters, but supporting?

I guess looking at it and running my mouth of first impressions shoulda made me realize I gotta go look around for more than this apologist review for people who feel they ARE giving it a chance, yet THIS issue is 'not helpful.'

I didn't wait for book this time, but I might buy next one in paper as I think Angel(us) should be confronting Buffy and the art has been pretty good. The blondies are too blendy, a bit.

Flooding and can't get there from here right now for anywhere.

HUGS!
sybil
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick flyby post.

I got my copy of Buffy # 3 yesterday.I enjoyed it.I'm starting to get a feel for the new versions of the characters and liking the dynamic between various characters.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #3 Review

http://majorspoilers.com/2019/03/18/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-3-review/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: