Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preview Pages For BOOM! Hellmouth # 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another BOOM Buffy # 5 variant cover

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?21162-New-Buffy-series-from-BOOM!-officially-announced!&p=747397#post747397

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM! Angel # 2 variant cover with spoiler info.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-this-exclusive-look-at-angel-2-a-familiar-face-re-1834841582?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&/setsession

In This Exclusive Look at Angel #2, a Familiar Face Re-Emerges

James Whitbrook

One of the most intriguing thing about Boom’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics series has been watching the familiar tale of the beloved show play out anew in a modern, rebooted setting. Watching these characters we know and love re-meet each other for the first time has been a hoot so far—and we’re about to see it happen again.

Hot off of the unconventional surprise debut of his own spinoff series (as well as regular appearances in the main Buffy comic), io9 can exclusively reveal that Angel’s quest to regain his humanity will see him cross paths with another face from his TV past in Bryan Edward Hill and artist Gleb Melnikov’s Angel #2: Winifred “Fred” Burkle. Check out Dan Panosian’s cover for the issue below, making its debut here on io9.

Played by Amy Acker in seasons two through five of Angel—before Fred was tragically killed off and had her body play host to the demon Illyria—the young Fred fans and Angel will meet in Angel #2 is a Sunnydale teen math and science prodigy. The troubled Fred finds herself being stalked by a mysterious monster—one that Angel also uncovers when he ventures to Sunnydale in an attempt to reclaim his human form, realizing that his quest and Fred’s mysterious connection to the supernatural are suddenly intertwined.

Another Angel fan favorite, Lorne, makes a sneaky appearance on this variant cover for Angel #2.

Angel #2 is set to hit shelves and digital retailers June 26.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCLUSIVE: Angel #3 Cover and Story Details Tease Showdown With Demon

BOOM! Studios presents the covers and story details for Angel #3, by Bryan Edward Hill and Gleb Melnikov, exclusively to CBR.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-angel-3-cover-story-details/
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.newsarama.com/45249-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-explores-the-history-of-the-slayers-in-the-chosen-ones.html

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Explores the History of the Slayers in THE CHOSEN ONES

By Newsarama Staff
May 20, 2019

https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvMDg4L2kwMi9CVUZGWV9USEVfQ0hPU0VOX09ORVNfMWEuanBn

Buffy Summers is the most famous Slayer to take the mantle of the chosen warrior against the forces of darkness, but in Buffy the Vampire Slayer lore, she's not the only one - far from it.

BOOM! Studios has announced Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Ones, a one-shot from writer Mairghread Scott artist Ornella Savarese exploring the history of the Slayer mantle. Here's how BOOM! describes the one-shot:

"In 18th century California, a young woman discovers she's the Chosen One and changes the course of Slayer history forever, in a new story from writer Mairghread Scott (Batgirl) and artist Ornella Savarese, that also reveals the hidden origins of the Hellmouth; the new Slayer first seen on the cover to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #2 comes to life in 14th century Italy from writer and artist Celia Lowenthal (Over The Garden Wall: Hollow Town), and more."

The main cover, seen to the left, is by Evan Cagle, while Helen Yoon created the variant, seen to the right.

“Buffy might be the Slayer you know best, but she's not the only incredible woman to be a Chosen One—and you're getting the first appearance of three new Slayers in this issue, as well as the never-before-seen origins of the Sunnydale Hellmouth!” said Jeanine Schaefer, Executive Editor, BOOM! Studios in a statement. “Mairghread, Ornella, Celia, and Alexa dig into the secret origins of these important characters from the past who'll have a huge impact on Buffy's future!”

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Ones is due out August 28.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/05/21/exclusive-first-look-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-7-covers/

EXCLUSIVE first look: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #7 covers

LOS ANGELES, CA (May 21, 2018) – BOOM! Studios today, in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products, unveiled three BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #7 covers by Mondo illustrator Marc Aspinall, artist Kevin Wada (She-Hulk), and artist Sonia Liao (Kulipari), available in August 2019.

The Scoobies are in disarray, and after the huge sacrifices she made last issue, Willow is still grappling with the consequences of losing such a monumental piece of her life. Was the sacrifice worth it? Or does this spell the end for the Scooby Gang as Buffy’s friends and family deal with the fallout from recent events and attempt to put the pieces of their lives back together?

Eisner Award-nominated writer Jordie Bellaire (Redlands) and acclaimed artist David López (Captain Marvel), along with series creator and story consultant Joss Whedon (the visionary writer/director behind Firefly, Marvel’s The Avengers, and more), reimagine the groundbreaking pop culture phenomenon for a new generation of comic book fans.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #7 features three main covers. Mondo illustrator Marc Aspinall depicts a desperate Willow using her fledgling magical abilities to try to save her best friend, Xander, from his vampire self.

Fan favorite artist Kevin Wada spotlights Buffy’s current crush, fellow Sunnydale student and captain of the track team, Robin Wood.

And rising star artist Sonia Liao’s Chosen One cover features a katana-wielding Slayer from 16th Century Japan.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer premiered on the WB Network on March 10th, 1997. The Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated series, which ran for seven seasons from 1997-2003, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar as “Buffy Summers.” Chosen to battle vampires, demons and other forces of darkness, Buffy is aided by a Watcher who guides and teaches her as she surrounds herself with a circle of friends called the “Scooby Gang.”

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is the newest release from BOOM! Studios’ eponymous imprint, home to critically acclaimed original series, including Once & Future by Kieron Gillen and Dan Mora; Faithless by Brian Azzarello and Maria Llovet; Abbott from Saladin Ahmed and Sami Kivelä; Bury The Lede from Gaby Dunn and Claire Roe; Grass Kings from Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins; and Klaus from Grant Morrison and Dan Mora. The imprint also publishes popular licensed properties including Joss Whedon’s Angel from Bryan Edward Hill and Gleb Melnikov, Firefly from Greg Pak and Dan McDaid, Buffy The Vampire Slayer from Jordie Bellaire and David López, and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Ryan Parrott and Danielle Di Nicuolo.

Print copies of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #7 will be available for sale on August 7, 2019 exclusively at local comic book shops (use comicshoplocator.com to find the nearest one) or at the BOOM! Studios webstore. Digital copies can be purchased from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and the BOOM! Studios app.

For continuing news on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER comic books, graphic novels and more from BOOM! Studios, stay tuned to www.boom-studios.com and follow @boomstudios on Twitter. And follow Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

Extra cover

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preview pages for BOOM! Buffy # 5.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/3968-BOOM!-s-Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-5?p=127379#post127379

sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is more unwieldy to keep both Angel and Buffy books in the same thread, comic?

Anyway, I did notice Chris Golden, a known BAer, despite all the seeming separation of Buffy and Angel because the curse is explained in being 'used up" on behalf of Xander. So, these will not ever deal with "humanity' other than blood or sex (R-I-u-ght) issues, I guess.

The sharing of the universe is just not the same to me. It literally is too comic book.

I sure do enjoy a lot of the art work, even if the "updates" seem to have these people already very capable awfully fast. just sayin' I guess the "superhero" syndrome of 'speshul' has nothing to do with practice or learning that actually adds depth, even painful kinds of humor and "relating" to trial and error that leads to actual stick to it character, not just posing characters in 'fall off the log" splendor.

HUGS!
sybil
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can start separating the Buffy and Angel comcis into separate news threads if you want.It was just easier combining them.

Preview pages for BOOM! Angel # 1.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?21162-New-Buffy-series-from-BOOM!-officially-announced!&p=747838#post747838

sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL
ALL go sit down--that's one hot run! Whoo wee!

Who doesn't love the utterly creepiest villains, too? Yes, nightmare inducing STILL!

Actually, your choice to put Buffy and Angel in the same thread seems to be the only togetherness for us and for BA we are getting! hee.

Thanks for even doing this. I am aware a few people like comics, but don't post here because so many don't, I guess. AT least NO ONE CAN COMPLAIN that the fandom hasn't support from you! The BA fandom didn't die on your watch, comic! THANKS again.

HUGS
Sybil

P.S.

I really, really, I mean REALLY think Angel's unique status of having a soul, gave him the most incomprehensibly, agonizing status in horror I can recall and gave the entirety of structure for good and evil for all others, including the balance required to be called a human being, whatever "slayer" powers for the unique one named Buffy. That there are crowds of ensouled vamps and slayers all over the place is a mythology of X men. I'm waiting for the fireball powers from witches to infect other species. I also don't get that right angle to the 4 dimensions of our universe for Angel's book. It always was a universe that seemed adjacent to our reality, and even why so many adults didn't see all the magical shenanigans going on all around them.

It does seem to explain why so many comic book universes are so extreme.

Masks were clever in Angel, not only for his period of life, but for the spectacle of the MASQUE.

Seriously, anyone liking these turns that make the universe special, but not necessarily the people in it?
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.newsarama.com/45354-best-shots-reviews-angel-1-she-said-destroy-1.html

Best Shots Advance Reviews: SHE SAID DESTROY #1, ANGEL #1

By David Pepose, Best Shots Team Lead
May 28, 2019

https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzMyL2kwMi9BbmdlbF8xLmpwZw==

Angel #1

Written by Bryan Edward Hill
Art by Gleb Melnikov and Gabriel Cassata
Lettering by Ed Dukeshire
Published by BOOM! Studios
Review by David Pepose

‘Rama Rating: 8 out of 10

The relaunch of Sunnydale’s best-known antihero kicks off in earnest with Angel #1, as writer Bryan Edward Hill and artist Gleb Melnikov start their series off with slow burn that positively exudes mood and atmosphere. While the characterization of this book isn’t quite as effervescent as sister title Buffy, Angel #1 shows a lot of promise, with Hill’s portentous writing style meshing surprisingly well with Melnikov’s cartoonier linework.

Whereas Buffy dropped us into Sunnydale’s high school community only to show us the dangers lurking in the shadows, Angel takes the opposite approach - Hill starts us off with a harrowing flashback, showing the desperation and shame that transformed a vampire hunter into the thing she hates most. That’s when Hill switches gears, showing us the horrors of the present day, how an immortal vampire like Angel would coexist in a world of social media and cyberbullying. It’s a testament to Hill’s voice as a writer that he’s able to pull off tying together two ideas that might not have a lot in common at the outset - “Forever can be cruel. It took me two hundred years to learn that,” Angel thinks. “They learn that at sixteen.”

But what’s most interesting to me as a reader is seeing how Hill’s style works with that of artist Gleb Melnikov. When you look at Hill’s previous work - Postal, Killmonger, Detective Comics, Marvel Strikeforce - he’s usually working with more realistic artists with a harsher line style. But Melnikov has a cartoony flourish to his work that’s reminiscent sometimes of old-school Greg Capullo or Andy Kubert, while his rendering has a shade of Sean Murphy. For a second it takes getting used to, but then you quickly find that Melnikov brings the same level of self-assuredness that Hill brings to his scripting, and together they help sell the more cerebral conversations Hill brings to the table, even amidst the flashes of violence - in particular, Melnikov crushes the colors in the first half of the book, with one page of alternating reds and teals that is frankly incredible. (That’s not a knock on Gabriel Cassata, who adeptly handles colors on the back half, but Melnikov is clearly the real deal here.)

That said, the jump from television to comics isn’t always easy, and if there’s any complaints to be had here, it’s just that this debut issue still feels like a bit of a slow burn, even after the benefit of a zero issue last month. Hill gets some really cool one-liners in the mix, but it still takes until the back half of the issue to introduce Angel to the mix, and he’s swept up into the inklings of supernatural menace pretty quickly before we’re able to get a lot of exposition or internal characterization. I do think that even if you haven’t watched the TV series, there’s enough of a hook storywise with the flashbacks to get you invested, but this might be a case of playing the cards a little too close to the chest in terms of defining who Angel is for newcomers.

If you haven’t been checking out BOOM! Studios’ Buffy relaunch, you should really consider checking out Angel #1. There’s a thoughtfulness to Hill and Melnikov’s work that yields a certain stylishness to this vampire antihero — a sense of perspective not just from the title character, but the creative team behind it, giving us a little bit more depth than what we’ve already seen on the small screen. While this book’s page count runs out a little earlier than one might want it to, there’s still some strong work being brought to the table here, making Angel a book you won’t want to miss.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have BOOM! Angel # 1.

Today was a rare new comic Wed. where I could get to my shop.There was a lot of big DC comics hitting today and I was able to get over there.To my surprise,Angel # 1 came out today.For some reason,I thought it was out next week with Buffy # 5.

The first issue was a typical first issue setting up the first arc.After the flashback in the preview pages(the guy in the mask is Angelus and he torments Mara over her fear of dying to let him turn her),we jump to present day Sunnydale with Angel on a bench noting his thoughts on teens and social media.We see a girl on Angel's phone being cyber bullied.

After an amusing scene with a kid trying to take Angel's picture,Angel meets with a old friend named Francis.Angel saved Francis when he was 10 years old.Francis is now middle aged(he notes that he could pass as Angel's father now).He wants to introduce Angel to his teenage daughter since she wouldn't have been born if Angel hadn't saved him as a child.Angel doesn't think this is a good idea.There is nod I think to OG canon where Francis asks if Angel ever wanted to be a father and Angel replies even he could,he wouldn't.He shouldn't be anyone's father.This made me immediately think of Connor(who I doubt will be introduced in this reboot although I sure would like to see them try, just to see how different it would be).

Angel returns to his home and find a woman,Lilith.I believe this is the Lilith of legend.She put a protection spell on Angel's home."She says nothing born of me can harm you here."She also mentions being irritated about how Hollywood keeps making her a white woman on T.V.So again,I think this is the biblical Lilith.The mother of vampires.I also think like Angel,she is souled.She mentions how important redemption is for her and that's why she's always favored Angel.And the intro teased that Angel may not be the only souled vampire in this reboot.I think that's why she's helping him with a protection spell on his home from other vampires.

She's also there to give Angel direction.We cut back to the girl being cyber bullied on social media and Lilith talking about how this generation has to many mirrors and not enough windows.They can't see past themselves.That this generation is lost.Lilith warns Angel is going to lose a old friend tonight and that she is sorry.

That old friend is Francis.His daughter,the one he wanted Angel to meet,is the girl being cyber bullied.The girl,Julia gets a text that says,"FriendTOTHELONELY:You're beautiful.I want you to know it.Please click here."Julia clicks and seems to fall under a spell.She takes a cansister of gas and a lit candle to her parents bedroom.Francis and his wife are in bed and he asks what's wrong.Julia under the spell replies,"He said I was beautiful Dad".The house goes up in flames and Francis and his family all perish.

Lilith offers her condolences and tells Angel to avenge them.The issue ends on Julia's hand in flames on the ground,her phone also on the ground with the message on it,"All of you are beautiful to me.Please click here."

So sounds like this first arc will be dealing with a demon targeting bullied teens on social media.

Pretty nice start to the series.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOM! August 2019 Solicitations

https://www.newsarama.com/45361-boom-studios-august-2019-solicitations.html

ANGEL #1

Writer: Bryan Edward Hill
Artist: Gleb Melnikov
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: Dan Panosian
Connecting Cover : Kaiti Infante
Preorder Cover: Scott Buoncristiano
Incentive Cover (1:20) : Jonathan Case
One Per Store Variant : Boris Pelcer

Synopsis:
- BOOM! Studios, along with visionary writer and director Joss Whedon ( Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel’s The Avengers ), presents the shocking reimagining of the pop culture phenomenon ANGEL!

- Angel walks the line between two worlds; a vampire cursed with a soul, he’s spent centuries battling back the forces that would destroy humanity, in an attempt to redeem himself for the crimes committed by the monster he was when he was first turned. But now, when the trail of the most recent demonic uprising takes him to Sunnydale, he realizes that the redemption he seeks can only come at a startling price.

- As Angel reunites with old friends and old spirits in Sunnydale, he comes face to face with a new demon -- one set on destroying a generation that Angel is entirely unfamiliar with. Will Angel be able to adapt to this new kind of foe...or will he succumb to the demons of his dark and terrible past as Angelus?
- Following the journey of Angel through past and present, critically-acclaimed writer Bryan Edward Hill ( Detective Comics, Killmonger ) and artist Gleb Melnikov present a brand new, modern take on one of the most iconic vampires in pop culture, perfect for fans and new readers alike!

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzc0L29yaWdpbmFsL0FuZ2VsXzAwMV9BX01haW4uanBnPzE1NTkxNDQ2MTk=

ANGEL #2

Publisher: BOOM! Studios
Price: $3.99
Cover Artists:
Incentive Cover (1:20) : Will Sliney
One Per Store Variant : Adam Gorham

Synopsis: The landmark reimagining of ANGEL continues here from Bryan Edward Hill ( Detective Comics, Killmonger ), Gleb Melnikov and series creator Joss Whedon ( Buffy the Vampire Slayer , Marvel’s The Avengers ). As Angel recovers for a devastating loss in Sunnydale, he must unravel the mysteries surrounding this new kind of monster. How can Angel fight something he can't see? When and who will it strike next? And who is the new mysterious woman...and what do they have to do with Angel's future? Features the first appearance of fan favorite character Fred Burkle!

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzc1L29yaWdpbmFsL0FuZ2VsXzAwMl9BX01haW4uanBnPzE1NTkxNDQ2MjE=

ANGEL #3

Cover Artists:
One Per Store Variant : David Lopez

Synopsis: Darkness has possessed another innocent...and Angel has no choice but to fight them. Trapped in an empty hospital with nowhere to go, Angel needs to find a way to save the host from this deadly and elusive demon, or have yet another life on his conscience. Will his new ally Fred Burkle be able to help him...or is she the reason he's battling this monster in the first place?

The next exciting chapter of the pop culture reimagining that made headlines worldwide continues from Bryan Edward Hill ( Detective Comics, Killmonger ), Gleb Melnikov and series creator Joss Whedon ( Buffy the Vampire Slayer , Marvel’s The Avengers ).

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzc2L29yaWdpbmFsL0FuZ2VsXzAwM19BX01haW4uanBnPzE1NTkxNDQ2MjM=

ANGEL #4

Cover Artists:
One Per Store Variant : Gabriel Hernandez Walta

Synopsis: This is it—the stunning conclusion to the first story arc reimagining the iconic vampire-with-a-soul. Angel must decide which path to follow on his quest to earn redemption and to free himself from this vampire curse—and all roads lead to Sunnydale.

Bryan Edward Hill ( Detective Comics, Killmonger ), Gleb Melnikov and series creator Joss Whedon ( Buffy the Vampire Slayer , Marvel’s The Avengers ) will blow you away with a shocking final page reveal that no Buffy or Angel fan can miss!

ANGEL LEGACY EDITION BOOK ONE SC

*****ADVANCE SOLICITED FOR OCTOBER 2019*****
Price: $29.99
Writer: Christopher Golden, Tom Sniegoski, David Fury
Artist: Hector Gomez, Christian Zanier, Eric Powell, Ryan Sook, Clem Robins
Cover Artist: Nimit Malavia

Synopsis:
- From Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) comes the official tie-in to the critically acclaimed Angel television series!

- Set during seasons 1 and 2, Angel Investigations are dedicated to their mission of helping the helpless...and putting a stop to a seemingly never-ending demon horde intent on destroying first Hollywood, and then the world!

The first in a series of books collecting every issue of Angel in chronological order, including hard to find and out of print stories, this volume features works by Emmy Award-winning writer of Angel David Fury, New York Times Best-Selling author Christopher Golden, and 5-time Eisner Award-winning artist Eric Powell, and is a must-have for long time fans and new readers alike!

- Collects Angel #1-9, Angel: The Hollower #1-3, Angel: Point of Order , and Angel: Lovely, Dark and Deep.

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzc3L29yaWdpbmFsL0FuZ2VsX0xlZ2FjeV92MV9TQy5qcGc/MTU1OTE0NDYyNQ==

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: CHOSEN ONES #1

Price: $7.99
Writer: Mairghread Scott, Celia Lowenthal, & more
Artist: Celia Lowenthal & more
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: Evan Cagle
Preorder Cover: Helen Yoon
Incentive Cover (1:25) : Celia Lowenthal

Synopsis:
- The First Appearance of The Greatest Slayers in History!

- Journey back in time and witness the stories of some of the Slayers from all over the globe. Watch the birth of the Sunnydale Hellmouth—an event that will lead to repercussions across the globe… and into the present day. A can’t miss for current Buffy readers and new fans alike!

- The Slayers first seen on variant covers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1-4 make their first full length debuts right here!

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzgzL29yaWdpbmFsL0J1ZmZ5X0Nob3Nlbk9uZXNfMDAxX0FfTWFpbi5qcGc/MTU1OTE0NDYzOQ==

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #7

Writer: Jordie Bellaire
Artist: David Lopez
Cover Artists:
Main Cover A: Marc Aspinall
Main Cover B: Kevin Wada
Main Cover C: Sonia Liao
Preorder Cover D: Becca Carey
Incentive Cover E: Michael Walsh

Synopsis: With time and options running out quickly, Buffy must turn to the new face in Sunnydale, someone she doesn’t fully trust—ANGEL! If you’re expecting sparks to fly, you’re probably guessing wrong...but fists and stakes just might!

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzgwL29yaWdpbmFsL0J1ZmZ5XzAwN19BX01haW5fMS5qcGc/MTU1OTE0NDYzMg==

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzgxL29yaWdpbmFsL0J1ZmZ5XzAwN19CX01haW5fMi5qcGc/MTU1OTE0NDYzNA==

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTYvNzgyL29yaWdpbmFsL0J1ZmZ5XzAwN19DX01haW5fMy5qcGc/MTU1OTE0NDYzNw==

So Buffy and Angel meet in Buffy # 7.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/29/five-questions-angel-1-spoilers/

The Biggest Baddest Five Questions After Reading Angel #1 (Spoilers)

posted by Rich Johnston May 29, 2019

After kicking off with a surprise issue we told you about way before anyone else, BOOM! Studios’ new Angel #1 hit stores today with some pretty big questions for fans.
We all know this is all leading to Buffy Vs Angel, but this issue is giving us a better idea of what that conflict will look like – and how it’ll be different.

If you look at what’s happened to Firefly and Buffy – the other two big Whedon launches from BOOM! Studios – each issue has gone into multiple printings to meet the demand that greatly exceeded retailer orders. And with the DIEDIEDIE-style drop of Angel #0, chances are the orders for this issue aren’t going to be enough to meet demand from fans who’ll see just how much Angel is being…reVamped. Retailers missed on Firefly #1. And then they missed on Buffy #1. Chances are, they’ve missed on Angel #1.

The biggest questions we have after reading issue #1 are…

Who is Mara?

[img]https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/angel.jpg#main[/img]

We already told you that Team Angelus is going to be a big deal but Mara, a demon hunter making her First Appearance in this issue, will be the biggest. Could she be a Slayer? After all, her battle axe is reminiscent of Buffy’s famous Slayer’s Scythe. If so, our comparison to the Four Horsemen could be even more on target, evoking shades of Apocalypse transforming X-Men’s Angel into Archangel. Either way, Mara’s introduction is set up in a way that I’m told will have a huge payoff over the next year.

And she may be the MOST important new character introduced in this series.

Is Angelus even WORSE than before?

[img]https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/angel2.jpg#main[/img]

In the television series, we saw Angelus was a cerebral assassin who preferred torturing his opponents psychologically.

But in this issue, we can see that Angelus is even MORE cruel than before with the way he attacks Mara, both physically and psychologically, which means Angel may be searching for a level of redemption far beyond anything we expected.

Plus he’s got that evil Angelus armor and a giant sword which tells you he’s a different kind of mass murderer this time around.

And is Lilith really…THAT Lilith?

[img]https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/lilith.jpg#main[/img]

Yup. That’s the first woman making her First Appearance – after the other TWO major first appearances in Mara and Team Angelus. She’s playing a role in this first issue not unlike what we saw Doyle do for Angel in the television series, but given her identity it’s fair to say she’s destined for big things in this series.
One of the criticisms of the Angel TV series was the lack of female leads and diversity, but Bryan Edward Hill is certainly creating a world that looks a lot more like the Los Angeles we all know.

Is That A Connor Tease?

[img]https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/kids.jpg#main[/img]

Angel mentions not being able to have kids – but in the television series he did have a son. Namely Connor, who was a – to put it mildly – divisive character during his tenure – even if we did get some memorable causes.

We’ve got a hunter in Mara from the past, mentions of Wolfram & Hart over in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and so all we need is a certain prophecy…

How does this lead into the introduction of Winifred Burkle?

[img]https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/finale.jpg#main[/img]

Fred makes her First Appearance in Angel #2 – but how is she connected to the threat in this issue?
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy # 6 variant covers.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?21162-New-Buffy-series-from-BOOM!-officially-announced!&p=747956#post747956

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First review for tomorrows BOOM! Buffy # 5.

https://sequentialplanet.com/comic-review-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-5/

Comic Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer #5

By Alex Clark-McGlenn on June 3, 2019

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #5

BOOM! Studios

Writer: Jordie Bellaire

Artists: David López & Raúl Angulo

Issue 4 ended on something of a cliff-hanger. Xander looked as though he’d need some serious help from his crush, Buffy. However, #5 picks up the story of everybody’s favorite Scooby-gang, in a dire state, both thematically as well as (and I’m sorry to say) creatively.

Story:

Issue 5 picks up a few days after the last installment. It’s a strange choice to have gap-time between issues, as #4 left Xander in such a tight fix. Then, suddenly, Giles is adamant that Buffy comes to his home. Since she lost her phone some issues ago, he sends Willow to wake Buffy up before sunrise. Some sequences of what happened to Xander and how he came to be at Giles’ house rush by in exposition. But it all feels perfunctory. The pacing, a strength of the first four issues, seems nonexistent, the voice of the characters seems to blend together, and the clever storytelling mechanic of character narrated issues was dropped for a much more straight forward approach.

Character:

I’ve already touched on character voice, but the issue falls flat in this category for a variety of reasons. After the discovery of the giant bat creature, Camazotz, I expected it to play some type of role in subsequent issues. However, despite the fact Buffy has a huge, vampire killing magical bat in a jar she can summon, there’s been no sign of it. Furthermore, this issue also sees Buffy visits the magic shop. Anya owns the magic shop, and it seems this would have been a perfect moment for the protagonist to meet a major character. Sadly, the author either did not or could not make this first meeting worth the page space.

Art:

From the moment Dan Mora released his character designs before #1 hit the shelves, I was stoked. I absolutely love the TV show, so I was eager for a modern and well-illustrated reboot. #5 is not in the same creative vision. The switch of artist from Dan Mora to David López is a mystery. I tried and failed to discover a reason. No matter, the result is undesirable. And that’s charitable. All the artwork is pretty simple, and at times it is downright crude. All the art looks as if it was on short notice. Often characters’ facial features are not proportionate and on multiple occasions, they portray emotions that don’t match up with the events taking place around them.
Whether the downfall of this issue was the art, the writing, or the instability that has crept into this run, I cannot say. More likely, is that it’s all these issues that have driven the stock down of a once high flying comic.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #5

Don't Read

While I'll probably return to Buffy for the next issue, my excitement has been replaced with skepticism.
If you're a fan of Buffy, you should and probably will stick with this comic, but you should also be concerned in regards to the direction this reboot has taken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Comics Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: