Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your favourite book?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao you ladies are always good for a laugh when I need cheering up.

Yes I am a tongue poker Confused lol you know what I mean...right?

Yes Twilight and the ROMANCE novels I love them Very Happy

I have considered reading the classics more specifically Jane Austen but haven't gotten around to it yet, eh maybe one day

'Always'
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, it's book talk!

My favorite fantasy series is <i>A Song of Ice and Fire</i> by George RR Martin. I'm still hoping to someday find someone who likes both that and BtVS-- we'll never run out of conversation.

Also pretty crazy over Peter S. Beagle and JRR Tolkien. Actually I've fed myself a steady diet of fantasy books since childhood, but those are the ones that come to mind first. Oh, and <i>The Wheel of Time</i>-- RIP, poor long-winded epic writer.

I'm into the classics, too, and some random stuff. A couple of my all-around favorite books are <i>One Hundred Years of Solitude</i> by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, <i>Corelli's Mandolin</i> (and honestly I can never even remember the author of that one), and <i>The Poisonwood Bible</i> by Barbara Kingsolver.

C.S. Lewis and Flannery O'Connor make my head go all spinny, but I haven't read as much of either of them as I'd like.

Gosh, I bet I'm missing a whole bunch of important ones. Listing books is like listing friends-- you always feel like someone is being left out.
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A C.S. Lewis fan. I haven't heard anyone say they like him in years. Have you read The Screwtape Letters?
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I actually once pulled out that book to find this passage:

"The general rule which we have now pretty well established among them is that in all experiences which can make them happier or better only the physical facts are "real," while the spiritual elements are "subjective"; in all experiences which can discourage or corrupt them the spiritual elements are the main reality, and to ignore them is to be an escapist."

...as an argument against Spike/Buffy, specifically the way fans of the ship tend to act as if it's more 'real' because it's grittier and more aggressive. To my mind that's like saying it's better because it's worse.

I.e., C.S. Lewis is on OUR side. BOO-YAH!
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The general rule which we have now pretty well established among them is that in all experiences which can make them happier or better only the physical facts are "real," while the spiritual elements are "subjective"; in all experiences which can discourage or corrupt them the spiritual elements are the main reality, and to ignore them is to be an escapist."

Thats kinda pretty but I don't know if I quite get it, I get the gist

'Always'
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wheel of Time, yes I've got that series of books. RIP Jordan.

Have you read the Sword of Truth series of books? Terry Goodkind? It's very similar. Apparently it's now a tv show. Season two is under way. It's made in NZ. They call it The Legend of the Seeker, which is what they call the man character in the books. I haven't seen it. I thought Goodkind was going to never finish the series but he did last year with Confessor.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh. Honesty's the best policy, right? Okay, Ares, I'll just come right out and say it...I loathe Terry Goodkind. I read the first few books of Sword of Truth in my teens, but somewhere along the way my opinion of them just soured and I've never gone back.

Although, there seems to be this phenomenon among epic fantasy readers: if you're a George RR Martin fan, you don't like Goodkind, and vice versa. So at least now I know what not to recommend to you. We can still be friends, right? Hands across the water? Wink

Cluelessangel, the passage I quoted was probably pretty confusing, because I left out most of it (I only had this part on hand, and I'm lazy), and I didn't give you the context. The book is about one devil writing to another about how best to corrupt the human race. In this letter, he's telling him how to make humans think the world is bleak and ugly instead of good, and he describes our tendency to think that happy things aren't real.

I can ramble on this subject for hours so just steer me where you want me to go. Smile
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get thee behind me, Devil!!! Laughing

We can certainly agree on dislikes. *Hands across the water*

The thing with Goodkind's books is that the hero is male, although his wife plays a huge role, as do the Mor'd Sith - who are all female warriors. I tend to gravitate towards books whose heroes are men. Not all, I have read the odd book that's had excellent heroines.

I've never read George RR Martin, but I believe the books have several if not a plethora of heroes and heroines. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Saying that, I am loving quite a few female writers, who write excellent heroes, male, usually. Go figure. It's like I love Angel particularly, rather than Buffy. Don't get me wrong, I like Buffy, but I love Angel more.

There's something about a tall, dark, handsome guy, all dangerous and smart and heroic that makes my heart beat fast.

TMI?

Wink
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's something about a tall, dark, handsome guy, all dangerous and smart and heroic that makes my heart beat fast.

Ofcourse your hearts going to beat faster, especially if its Angel * wiggles eyebrows*
I did work out a while back that I love the tall, dark, broody and kinda dangerous heroes. I think it all stems from the original man of my heart, and in case you haven't worked out who that is, its Angel of course. Very Happy

Quote:
Cluelessangel, the passage I quoted was probably pretty confusing, because I left out most of it (I only had this part on hand, and I'm lazy), and I didn't give you the context. The book is about one devil writing to another about how best to corrupt the human race. In this letter, he's telling him how to make humans think the world is bleak and ugly instead of good, and he describes our tendency to think that happy things aren't real.

thanks for clearing that up for me, btw feel free to shorten my name if you don't feel like typing it all I know when its me people are speaking to Very Happy

'Always'
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ares wrote:
I've never read George RR Martin, but I believe the books have several if not a plethora of heroes and heroines. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a huuuge ensemble cast in those books, and the main characters are a pretty even mix of men, women, and children, so yeah, plethora describes it well. But the setting is a pretty traditional society with strongly enforced gender roles, so the characters with swords in their hands are generally men.

...Plus, most of the supposed heroes have decidedly un-heroic moments. George RR Martin is big into the moral grey areas. That said, they're shooting the HBO pilot right now and once it's out, I expect Jon Snow will find a place among your tall, dark, brooding heroes. He's certainly in my fictional character crushes, and that's just from words on a page.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Jon Snow, eh? Sounds like my cup of tea. I'll have to keep an eye out for Martin's books then. I do like the moral grey areas, myself.

Thanks for the info. Heart

Clueless? Give Angel back!!! He's mine! Laughing
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha NUP I'm keeping him!

'Always'
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys seriously going to start fighting over Angel in here? I sense a riot coming on...

...Anyway, I've always considered Angel MINE! Mine mine mine mine!

Ares wrote:
I'll have to keep an eye out for Martin's books then. I do like the moral grey areas, myself.

He's also even more notorious for sudden and heart-rending death scenes than Joss is. That's my final warning. Wink
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I warned you about the tangents.

ooh we should get a cloning machine and clone him

'Always'
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He's also even more notorious for sudden and heart-rending death scenes than Joss is. That's my final warning.

I should feel right at home then. ;0)

Duly warned.

He's mine!!! Gerroff!!!

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: