Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drawings and Paintings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Graphics and Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FABulous, Kairos. I liked that it was a silver cross. I need that.
I thought the scar was in the carotid artery, about two inches below the ear and behind those wonderful neck muscles supporting her head. Your drawing makes so much better sense that she didn’t just ‘spray’ like a fire hydrant. Ha! Good info and the scar looks like his kiss burned his lips into her flesh. Brilliant concept, instead of the usual holes of the “mom accidentally stabbed me in the neck with a two prong serving fork excuse”

I also like your control of the light source in the shine on her earrings. It’s a strength overall. And could you be more symbolic ever with that hair style of hers? And look at the flames on her dress. Wonderful touches for me.

While the embrace has a bit of stiffness and some perspective control isses-that actually do suggest movement—I do like the shadow curving over Buffy’s face because she is tilting her head for a kiss. Could the shadow on Angel over more of his face also be her slight preference in the shadow within Angel, as to HER POV? And, of course, his head tilting would put his face more into the light in the way you sourced the light? I HONESTLY think this portrayal with less focus on faces is about THE FEELING of passion this evokes in the promise of a kiss coming.

OMG. I ADORE that one of Willow and Oz. It’s gallery worthy. Her eyes of open and closed with the question mark on her shirt versus the complete sprawl of perfect happiness and his possession of her in his possessed/NOT human form of Oz’s is just crazy perfect even as we see his powerful body fully shown. Her averted gaze also works in her question of who SHE is, as her dress covers her making her full form less than observable. Even using pink and blue on her is wonderful. I know many think of her as bi-sexual, a rather rare actuality versus those who change along a continuum, depending on sense of self and other connections to ideas of ‘attractive.’

TAAROKO! Your drawing looks like dancing in the interlace of legs. They are not “toe to toe” Sexy! Yet I also love YOU showed this dance with their wedding rings and your choices in clothing couldn’t be anymore perfect symbolically. I love that the promise in Surprise has its surprising promise fulfilled (and maybe those clothes coming off even more than in the moment you captured here as a reverse of the episode on TV. Ha!

I don’t know if it would serve to mention that an elbow does hit near the waist, as you have, but you have a slight perspective turn in that proportion check. The inside of the arm being closer to the waist would do it. Arms with hands span the height of a person. It’s hard to show softness in intimacy with that kind of folding of appendages, I can imagine to fit your placement of Buffy with Angel. I also think that a fatter curve on her check and less nose being ultimately shown would give as accurate a Buffy as you have for Angel. I know it is odd but accuracy really seems to be important in your drawing somehow to me because your representation of these people seems so real.

And I didn’t even have to read below the picture of Angel to see the complete REVERSAL between Buffy and Angel you were after, but emotional identity remains intact. See, you do the real thing. The cross on him and yet it is GOLD, important choice of color; and the book bag “a cross” his body like ‘baggage.’ He is a student who has more than book learning to do. Wonderful complex feelings in his face. Confusion, frustration, resignation and a spot of wonder and anger BECAUSE it’s all so complicated and all mixed up. GREAT ANGEL! Now I’ll read what you meant. Ha!
HUGS!
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's such nice feedback, Sybil, thank you!

For this picture, at least, you can be sure that I intended the cross to be THE cross. Never even considered another style. Smile Her scar seems to jump around a lot in canon (catch the almost-impossible position it's in when it shows up in the comics), but I wanted to put it where I thought a vampire would naturally bite, and with the outline of all of his sharp teeth, not just the fangs.

(Sidebar, I gave blood today for the first time in several years and it was an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience, much like it was last time. I'll keep doing it unless it starts causing me real health problems, but I couldn't help thinking: how on earth did someone like me end up with a vampire fetish?)

sybil wrote:

I also like your control of the light source in the shine on her earrings. It’s a strength overall. And could you be more symbolic ever with that hair style of hers? And look at the flames on her dress. Wonderful touches for me.

I'm not sure how the hair style is symbolic - actually, it was kind of a mistake. I wanted it to look like it was pulled back with some strands hanging down, and it ended up looking short overall. Oops.

The dress was all according to Leni's design, though. Symbolic flames are symbolic: that's Angelus there, not Angel. Same goes for the heavy shading on his face (which I can't say came out quite as I wanted it to). He's a dark guy, and Buffy gets pretty dark here too.

Quote:
OMG. I ADORE that one of Willow and Oz. It’s gallery worthy.

Hehehehe, I don't think so, but thanks!

And for this one I have Taaroko to thank for the wardrobe. The question mark within a stop sign was described in her fanfic, in which Oz is a member of a band called Illogical Stop Sign. Willow as a girlfriend makes a very faithful groupie.

Thanks for all your comments! Glad you liked my pictures.
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sybil wrote:
TAAROKO! Your drawing looks like dancing in the interlace of legs. They are not “toe to toe” Sexy! Yet I also love YOU showed this dance with their wedding rings and your choices in clothing couldn’t be anymore perfect symbolically. I love that the promise in Surprise has its surprising promise fulfilled (and maybe those clothes coming off even more than in the moment you captured here as a reverse of the episode on TV. Ha!

I don’t know if it would serve to mention that an elbow does hit near the waist, as you have, but you have a slight perspective turn in that proportion check. The inside of the arm being closer to the waist would do it. Arms with hands span the height of a person. It’s hard to show softness in intimacy with that kind of folding of appendages, I can imagine to fit your placement of Buffy with Angel. I also think that a fatter curve on her check and less nose being ultimately shown would give as accurate a Buffy as you have for Angel. I know it is odd but accuracy really seems to be important in your drawing somehow to me because your representation of these people seems so real.

^_^ I always make a point of drawing their rings. Which sometimes involves drawing them from a different angle so that the correct hands and fingers will be visible. And I know the proportions are really weird in places. *grimace* This was drawn before I learned my nifty new trick for keeping the right proportions much more easily. I might go back and fix it, because that's really distracting to me now when I look at it. At least the icon version doesn't have that problem, since it's just shoulders and above.

sybil wrote:
And I didn’t even have to read below the picture of Angel to see the complete REVERSAL between Buffy and Angel you were after, but emotional identity remains intact. See, you do the real thing. The cross on him and yet it is GOLD, important choice of color; and the book bag “a cross” his body like ‘baggage.’ He is a student who has more than book learning to do. Wonderful complex feelings in his face. Confusion, frustration, resignation and a spot of wonder and anger BECAUSE it’s all so complicated and all mixed up. GREAT ANGEL! Now I’ll read what you meant. Ha!
HUGS!

Wow, you see a lot more in this than I even thought about. I don't even know why I made his cross gold instead of silver. And the way he's wearing his satchel with the strap across his chest is pretty much just because that's the way I always wear mine--I mean, if you wear it just on one shoulder, you have to constantly hang onto them to keep them from falling off, which is annoying. Razz I'm really glad you got so many emotions from his scowl. That pretty much sums it up.
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Kairos. The Spiral is related to the circle, but it holds some of the following meanings: spiritual journey, the goddess, the womb, fertility, feminine serpent force, continual change, and well, here is a link
http://www.zenzibar.com/cosmicspiral/cosmicspiral.htm

I do remember the scene with Angelus and all the energy in it and that is just too dark for me, with all the rings and how they are intertwined. HA! So I will see it as a reversal to the original of Buffy coming INTO the apt. into Angel’s arms as her husband. (Thanks!)

You are so right about the scar and the reality of the “other teeth.” See, I get all fanciful because it just seemed to add to the hunger/passion need to “eat you alive” feeling. Ha!

I am sorry you have such a tense relationship to blood letting—I mean the reality of all it is something (foreign) entering your body and the idea of pulling the blood out does cause pain that actually makes sense with your fascination with vampires. It is fear/pain/resist/submit/pleasure repeat all in conflict in rapid order. It doesn’t take any imagination what the beginning and ends of that series means.

Your reason and your fear are not in sync at the Blood Bank, but you also have a person having trouble with your blood vessels. When you put your body in fight or flight response (emotionally) I imagine your blood vessels constrict ( to supply your body with the ability to save your life: jump to full speed or fight to the death) and some blood vessels are deeper or harder for the initial needle. Even the word neeeedle is creepy. And the needle is sufficient to make many become nauseated or to faint and, not surprising, men most—they are also not breathing normally and finally run out of air.

I actually do not like needles so the bizarre thing for me is that I really do have to look, but the sample bottle can be “kinda confusing” how I feel looking at that—I’m leaking!; part of me is being taken away—ahhh; or it’s waste and not good-ugh; or why on earth does that dark have all this power to save a life? It’s a real let down that they want only the “clear stuff” centrifuged from it. Ha!

It can be pretty tough to look at and I make sure that it is done with my left arm, as I am right handed for any bruise type feeling that could occur as the vessel and skin (it has several layers) heals. I refuse absolutely any needles in my hands to the point I’d refuse treatment. They just KILL. Too many vessels, bones, and ligaments and zero fat (insulator) all coming together.

If it is too painful, it is probably not your way to put yourself and your life and your gifts into the world. The cost that is too damaging is not a good balance and you have offered the sacrifice to learn it. You do make others happy in your words, your support and your art so these should also make you happy.

I hope that your sacrifice for giving blood and the good it provided helps your confidence that you have put your own sense of good, your very good life into the world for life itself. There really is nothing greater for it is a gift of peace and of love and honors life and those in it. I thank you for it!

Sweet Taarko! Please don’t apologize for your art. It’s effect is clear and I just knew you would require great precision to advance that clarity. It was interesting to me that you helped with the clothes in the specific colors you chose for Kairos’ work. That the work seems clean and spare does not hide the fact of “normal things” having deep consequence and you intuitively know it or you wouldn’t have included it.

HUGS!
sybil
CrystalSC
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, how have I never seen this before? I would love it if someone had a larger/higher quality version of it. Apparently it was a lithograph offered back a company way back in the day.

Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artist on that was Boris Vallejo (or possibly his wife Julie Bell) and I always thought that was a cool picture. You should be able to track down a copy of it online somewhere. I know it was still available last year when I went looking for it. I believe he did one or two others of Buffy – one had the master in it – but I don’t think they had Angel in them.

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
CrystalSC
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks so much for the info! Smile I love it. I will have to hunt it down.

ETA: AAAAaaaahhhh! It's right here!!!! GAH! MUST ORDER!!
http://www.imaginistix.com/searchprocess.cfm
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Enjoy!

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrystalSC wrote:
Man, how have I never seen this before? I would love it if someone had a larger/higher quality version of it. Apparently it was a lithograph offered back a company way back in the day.

I know what you mean...it's so beautiful it kinda takes your breath away. I know the minute I first saw it I was searching for a way to make it mine. I ended up purchasing one on ebay, so if all else fails maybe you can find one there.

There's a white border around the print with the logo "Another Universe"...which I think is the company responsible for having the lithograph made. I think maybe the pic you brought over has been manipulated from the original because my print doesn't have a castle type structure behind Buffy and Angel....I found an image for the original and also the Buffy/Master that Dark Star remembered.

http://www.oocities.org/little_wolvie/news/news-page02.htm

It's weird how hard it is the find these images anymore. Duncan Gutteridge was another brilliant artist who did tons of BTVS art. He had a huge website and gallery and it's just gone now. I did find a site that still has two pieces of his artwork for sale. One is Buffy with Angel behind her and the other is Dark Willow. The website is purenostalgia.co.uk if anyone is interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Graphics and Art All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: