Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to Find B/A on the Web
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not allowed to join JR without first belonging to LJ and having an account with them—hence my complaint—and I will obviously be denied even reading your posts--I don't know why.

I did want to hang out with you guys, and didn’t understand why this flight to LJ from here when you already did and do talk about the comics ATF and Season 8 right here from the threads I have seen.

I don’t mean to be obtuse, but all the Rose Forums and Dark Star portals connect us up, or maybe I got that wrong, even though I find fic on this forum and other contributions to the fandom; and it is sectioned off for areas of concern; yet you are speaking about the need for itches that get scratched because you think more or different people will be showing up to read things than might here? Or maybe it is the format of meta and blog with short responses more the format you all are looking to read?

Both questions answered in the affirmative have very useful and good reasons for all of you organizing this and make sense to you—if I am guessing right in why we should move from here for those types of foci, while I am grappling with the idea that the discussion simply won’t be here at “home base.” Everything is ending up in LJ.

I think the idea of this forum as my “homebase” may be my problem all together. Maybe I didn’t understand how interests are to be organized and communicated NOT HERE. This forum is for B/A. Each specific project gets its own special forum or LJ world?

I have really been way off topic if B/A is the only subject! YIKES!! SORRY TO YOU AND TO ALL OF YOU! B/A all the way! Ha!

HUGS!
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have an LJ account, I very rarely go there at all. I find the format to be very impersonal and much prefer the "home board" feel. I guess I am old school and fixated on the glory of the Babble Board days.

In the end I guess it's all about personal choice and while I respect those who prefer the LJ thing, I admit to not being one of them. I want threads, threads and more threads, lol.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I have never been a mod, or even know how to make the page with "read more" on Joyous Rebellion, I gave up writing summaries and hang out until someone picks up the itch to do it. I actually write about 20 points , in a sentence or two just going through the comic at hand so those who don't have it, get it. The stuff I write about is not just what the comic says and why I thought JR was even created, yet the format to write less than a page for a whole comic is beyond my talents. Or even interest.

I have to respect those who are trying to herd cats in ideas, different levels of appreciation for different characters and artists, and keep things under control. I found LJ impossible to figure out because I am not computer savvy and find QUERTY enough weirdness for forced and practiced learning. Furthermore, I haven't the interest in learning endless updates, worrying about privacy issues and investing my life in learning it all on my own, working with the ever shrinking tools in which to accomplish communication in ever decreasing quality--seriously Star Trek or Star Wars on a phone? A symphony on tinny downloads? Volume isn't quality.

Anywho, I thought this place was very organized and quite fluid that didn't require a phud in computer tech to navigate. Click on new topic and there it is in a familiar format like posting. Great choice!

I would suggest that a thread of links to personal blogs or journals or whatever you guys like to do that is not necessarily fandom and you desire to share with us might be good? I suppose there might even be newbies who don't know Chrislee or the Babble board and maybe permission to 'go there' from here might be helpful without backing out to google and get locked out because of more and more passwords to even "look around." We are not talking about state secrets here, it is OPINION.

AFter ATF, I'm out of LJ. Period. It's trying to be "we are the world" but in a rigid structure that spits you out into a party of people who choose safety over substance; and on subjects you really can't talk about or people who want to hear what you really think or the way you might say it. It's only a party, after all.

Well, I can't live on angelcake and boos, even if I could live on Angel. Here, I know that every single person already likes BTVS and ATS and thinks they are important, even when its bad. While I do understand PP was a large undertaking by several producers and created its own world and even fandom, I think the level of discussion on the comics was already here, doesn't limit a revisit that makes it easy to peruse early ideas or show new thinking on old ones or for newbies to add views or to even show ideas that are not tied to the single issue, but have broader implications in the entire originating fandoms of BTVS and ATS. After all, this is a revisit, and spoilers EITHER can be identified, or should be expected.

I don't like things that are supposed to make my life simple and just really don't. This place is great and I love it, even if LJ is how people stumble on it.

I come here ON PURPOSE, not to wander around how to even get around. Here I can think, i can talk about ideas I come across from this fandom and have never stopped learning from, and in a place of like persons who won't hoot me off the board because I'm not a great word swordsman or so hard boiled and cynical that I am the only god of taste and wisdom. Here, I might be waving my hands around a lot "out loud," but you get what I mean. I am glad for that.

HUGS!
sybil
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry for neglecting this post for so long (I'm sure the links are in dire need of updating - eep!), but maybe I can clear up some of the reasoning behind the creation and use of Joyous Rebellion and other communities like it.

First, there's never an intent to take anyone's attention away from Blood Roses. This board is, in my opinion, the hub of the online B/A community and the best source there is for finding great discussion on Buffy and Angel. When it's active, I'm a happy girl; when it's not, I'm thinking about what can be done to boost activity.

But not everybody posts here. No need to ask why - none of us have accounts everywhere, because that's pretty much impossible. I know I can't bring all of my LJ friends over to BR, or vice versa, and I'm not willing to let any of them drop off my radar, so what's to be done? Stick around on both places, of course.

There's a pretty big overlap in members and nobody likes seeing every item cross-posted (i.e., "Hey look, it's a new drabble by Kairos! Wait, no it's not, it's the same one she just posted on LJ"), so we divide up our thoughts and post some at each separate place. Different formats lend themselves to different kinds of posts. Blood Roses, for example, lets us carry on conversations that can essentially last forever (find the oldest post on the board and respond to it, and we'll carry on the topic as if it just came up yesterday). LiveJournal, on the other hand, lets you pick and choose which conversations you want to engage in before they vanish from your screen.

The idea for Joyous Rebellion came up during a discussion on one of BR's Season 8 threads which diverted into venting about fandom's biases. That thread was later discovered and linked elsewhere unbeknownst to us, and given those circumstances, we agreed that it would be nice to be able to talk B/A somewhere that we couldn't be overheard. Thus, JR is a locked community, for shippers only. That couldn't be done here, and we wouldn't want it to be, since it would upset the welcoming atmosphere we have as it is.

Community activities like group re-reads tend to fit into the LiveJournal format better than they would here, because chapters can be divvied up and archived automatically, rather than building on massive hard-to-search threads or clogging up the board with a lot of short posts. Again, there's privacy - we're not down with flaming anywhere, but we want to offer an outlet for free expression with no risk of offending passersby. It's unfortunate that locking the community sometimes means locking out people who we'd like to have there, but remember, it would be like that either way. Both LiveJournal and Blood Roses grants free memberships to everyone, so joining them is a personal choice.

Like I said, I love seeing activity on this board, but there's such a thing as too much activity. Not everyone's interested in re-reading AtF - how would it feel for them to keep seeing the roses turn red and then being disappointed because it's just another AtF post?

Hope all that makes some sense. If I had my way, everyone I like would be a member of every site that I frequent, but we're a free people, after all. Wherever you want to be, go there for whatever reasons you have. We're just here to plant some road signs.

And yeah, I'll get on those next...I don't think I even know how to get to some of those older sites. Well, thread's open for suggestions!
Kendra_W
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Buffy free online! Reply with quote

So if you are trying to test out Hulu Plus (which will let you watch all 7 seasons of Buffy for free online), they're showing all of Season Three. Smile Good times.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/61401/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-anne#x-0,vepisode,1,0
Bangelfanforever
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm watching the show again at the moment and I felt like talking to other BA fans. Does anyone know what happened to ''The BA Haven'' board?

I'm BAFanForever on twitter. Feel free to add me.
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haven is still there.

Irony= see above.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. You’re right, it isn’t there. It could be just having some downtime, maintenance, or something – check back later or in a few days.

However, sites and forums are always disappearing from the web and its disappointing when nothing comes along to replace them.

It occurs to me that some of our links no longer work – if anyone has a spare few minutes, would they take on the arduous task of checking out our B/A links and let me know if any of them are broken?

Thank you.

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this...

http://entertainmenthaven.boards.net/
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star wrote:
Hmm. You’re right, it isn’t there. It could be just having some downtime, maintenance, or something – check back later or in a few days.

However, sites and forums are always disappearing from the web and its disappointing when nothing comes along to replace them.

It occurs to me that some of our links no longer work – if anyone has a spare few minutes, would they take on the arduous task of checking out our B/A links and let me know if any of them are broken?

Thank you.

The Haven's still there.I still post there all the time with the news.Yesterday and today though at times the site has been down but it's working fine now.Bonnaleah posted the link. Smile
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder the link didn't work. When did it move??

comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star wrote:
No wonder the link didn't work. When did it move??

Yeah it switched URL's a while back.I forget how long ago but from my prespective it's been a while since i post there everyday.

The Haven forum itself isn't real active now but I post the news there and it it is read as I chat with some of the members there like bonnaleah,Cheryl,Blade and a few others via PM.
Bangelfanforever
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Star wrote:

Thank you.

It's really sad to see site disappear from the web. Sad

The following links are the only links that don't work for me :

Slay Alive (General BtVS/AtS Forums)
Land of Denial (B/A Fanfiction Archives)
Margot's Femfic : Margot's fiction (General BtVS/AtS Fanfiction Archives)

bonnaleah wrote:
Try this...

http://entertainmenthaven.boards.net/

It works... Very Happy Thank you for the link.

I'm BAFanForever on twitter. Feel free to add me.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t been in for some time now. It stopped being a proper B/A board a long time ago, and I gather Matt has lost interest in it and was asking if anyone else wanted to take it on. Shame really.

- Thank you, Caroline, for checking the links. I'll give them a couple of days to see if they're just having problems, and then I'll take them down if they're still broken. That's always sad.

The Haven works again now.

LittleRaven
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Land of Denial site is still alive; the url given has an extra 'l' at the end.

SlayAlive is here: http://slayalive.com/forum.php

with an archive board here: http://slayaliveforums.proboards.com/index.cgi

Unfortunately I think Margot's Femfic is gone, even after I removed the '[url' tagged at the end of the link given here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: