Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The official Buffy/Angel rewatch thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmblack21
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: The official Buffy/Angel rewatch thread Reply with quote

Buffy rewatch! - now with theme music.

AND, the "unofficial" theme music by Velvet Chain with their tribute to Buffy and set to this lovely fan made vid set to that song as well.

Time for season 1!!!

Banner courtesy of Matt, many thanks!!

Buffy season 1 Rewatch Schedule:

April 11: Welcome to the Hellmouth

April 14: The Harvest

April 18: The Witch

April 21: Teacher�s Pet

April 25: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

April 18: The Pack

May 2: Angel

May 5: I Robot, you Jane

May 9: The Puppet Show

May 12: Nightmares

May 16: Out of Sight, Out of Mind

May 19: Prophesy Girl

Season 2 begins on May 24

A couple of things to get us started for season 1:

First, we have a fan-made Season 1 Trailer!! (Thanks Kairos!)

Then, we have all of the first season television promos together in one video compilation. (Again, thank you Matt!)

Check them out - then check out my most recent post where I have kick-started episode one with some questions, some trivia, some fun stuff - and I'll have more as we discuss the episode.

Onward we go!

-Luc

Last edited by lmblack21 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you're doing this, Luc! Thank you for taking it on!

If it's alright to add to the official post before the watching is, you know, official, I'd like to offer a "general Season One" link. These fan-made trailers are often pointed out at Whedonesque, but even if you've seen them before, you might enjoy revving up for each season by taking a look, so, here's the first one.

See you Friday!
dorotea
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way - I want to re-recommend this link to a series of reviews by Noel Murray - doing Big Buffy rewatch since 2008. He is on S6 right now and I enjoy his reviews for the sheer neutrality and sharp observation points. There are some mild shipping in the comments - but most of the Noel's own reviews are spot on - albeit a little dispassionate and academic. I never thought I would like Season 6 - but as I followed him ( he just posted Seeing Red review this week) and his gang , I really began to appreciate some of the darker stuff that made me feel too uncomfortable before. Oh, and he is doing Angel the series re watch as well - and he really likes the character and the series.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/welcome-to-the-hellmouth-etc,13015/

Not that I necessarily think his opinion is ALWAYS spot on - but it is a good aid to have your own impression refreshed by reading a review that is impartial and somewhat academic.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey. I just started reading those, and actually, they'd be great as supplementary material for the re-watch. Maybe Luc can include a link to the review of each episode along with whatever other goodies she has in store. Smile Or one of us could.
lmblack21
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
So glad you're doing this, Luc! Thank you for taking it on!

If it's alright to add to the official post before the watching is, you know, official, I'd like to offer a "general Season One" link. These fan-made trailers are often pointed out at Whedonesque, but even if you've seen them before, you might enjoy revving up for each season by taking a look, so, here's the first one.

See you Friday!

Yes, thank you, I love those!!!

And Dorotea, thanks again, I'll have a looksie!

-Luc
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorotea wrote:
By the way - I want to re-recommend this link to a series of reviews by Noel Murray - doing Big Buffy rewatch since 2008. He is on S6 right now and I enjoy his reviews for the sheer neutrality and sharp observation points. There are some mild shipping in the comments - but most of the Noel's own reviews are spot on - albeit a little dispassionate and academic. I never thought I would like Season 6 - but as I followed him ( he just posted Seeing Red review this week) and his gang , I really began to appreciate some of the darker stuff that made me feel too uncomfortable before. Oh, and he is doing Angel the series re watch as well - and he really likes the character and the series.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/welcome-to-the-hellmouth-etc,13015/

Personally I don't really care for his reviews, I admit I have only read couple of them, but he seems bit too pro-C/A for my taste since I really can't stand C/A.

But I'm excited of the reviewing starting here since pretty much every forum has done them when the episodes were airing and aren't interested in doing it again. And I'm sure this will bring up some great discussion.

"A vampire in love with a Slayer. It's rather poetic... In a maudlin sort of way." - Giles in Out of Mind, Out of Sight (s1e11)
dorotea
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmi wrote:

Personally I don't really care for his reviews, I admit I have only read couple of them, but he seems bit too pro-C/A for my taste since I really can't stand C/A.

But I'm excited of the reviewing starting here since pretty much every forum has done them when the episodes were airing and aren't interested in doing it again. And I'm sure this will bring up some great discussion.

I think Nial's pro Cordy-Angel position is rather mild and tolerable - he is not in S4 of Angel series yet, and I am kind of looking forward to his take on evil Cordelia. He is very pro-Angel though, and I am especially in agreement with him (and his audience) about S3 + of Angel the show surpassing Buffy S6-S7 in overall quality of the story. It is like the focus has shifted between the series and Angel-verse characters become more alive even as Buffy fades to the shades of depression and sulkiness.

But we are talking re-watching from the start - hopefully you guys can enjoy watching the earlier seasons for long enough before hitting this patch.
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add www.buffyworld.com
has a summary and transcripts for a form of reference.

I think that season 6&7 is indeed pathology and Angel, after season 2 was near an unintelligle mess of inexplicable plot holes that only a drug induced haze can remotely explain and not in ATS but by the myriad of people "mucking around" in the story, the direction, the central problems of Angel himself, which were just recreated, at the cost of the entire cast.

AT least I know why they put Spike in Angel's place as his tanist and to reveal Buffy's sense of accomplishment in expectations hadn't served to heal her of her intial trauma, for all the accomplishment in "expectations" as Angel's Oedipal hang ups hadn't been healed whatsover--why Connor even exists, as does Dawn.

So ATS and BTVS are the same story, told from reverse points of views, which makes the VERSE a good piece of literature as a whole piece, not as separate shows. Even the rhythm of the series on ATS tried to create the climax, mid season, which also didn't work for ratings driven sweeps and the cliff hangar was the technique of choice that life is/isn'tt a fresh start, but just delays growth/lives on. But my opinion doesn't have an alphabet behind it.
HUGS!
sybil
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask now if we are pretending not to have a spoiler from one ep to another, because i am seeing these words just showing up so much later that seem like destiny (to really try and avoid).

I promise to use drive by memory to keep from discussing every single line and why and wherefore if what we see now has some lasting resonance?

Hugs!
sybil
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us here at the Forum did a Buffy rewatch and posted our review over at Angel Elders Mansion. We actually did the rewatch on the same day, and tried to do it the same hour. It was fun. The review ended up with all our comments slotted in together, as if we were all in the same room.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day? How much Buffy, Ares? o.O
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*rolls eyes* Laughing

I mean we viewed each episode (one per week) on the same day and emailed each other's review and one of us - pre selected the week before - had to collate them all into one piece, then it was posted on the website.

We got through the first 3 seasons, or was that four? Confused
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee hee. So you had a crossover with Chuck's implant to compress over 140 digitial hours into 24. That works, too.

YOU GUYS! Laughing

LOOK FORWARD TO REWATCH; I have to struggle to keep up JR. " Whatever means necessary" from you guys to get me to just shut up shorter for us all to have a life. Ha!
Hugs!
sybil
lmblack21
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Hellmouth

****IMPORTANT NOTE****
I edited the first post on this to include some cool stuff, including a couple of videos: 1) a video with all of season 1's television promos together in one vid, 2) I also put the season 1 fan-made trailer (brought over by Kairos, thank you!) in that first post as well, for easy resource. There is also the theme music and yet ANOTHER vid with Buffy clips from all 7 season's set to Velvet Chain's Buffy tribute with the song, "Buffy, she's the slayer". So be sure to check out the first post again!!!

Now, before we get to the actual first episode, a video (yes, another one. Wink), this one showcasing The WB's "Buffy" World Premiere Promo, which is excellent and a fun way for us to begin our series rewatch. (Thank you Matt!)

And, in case you haven't seen it before, editing to add in the unaired pilot where you will see the original (and I'm sorry to say this about the actress) far inferior Willow. But a fun watch.

Summary (shortened from Buffyworld):

Sixteen-year-old Buffy Summers has moved to Sunnydale from L.A., hoping to leave Buffy's troubled past behind. But Sunnydale High librarian Rupert Giles knows who Buffy is: she is the Slayer, the one girl in all the world with the strength and skill to hunt and kill vampires.

“In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness. She is The Slayer.”

Written by: Joss Whedon
Directed by: Charles Martin Smith
Original air date: March 10, 1997

Click for the bigger promo pic!

Quotable Buffy: “Now, we can do this the hard way or…well, actually, there’s just the hard way.”

Pop-culture IQ: Buffy can tell there is a vampire around, not by “honing her senses” but because his clothing is outdated (or, as Buffy says, "carbon dated!) and, according to Buffy he “looks like DeBarge!” DeBarge was an 80’s music group.

Love, slayer style: Xander develops an instant crush on Buffy, tries to flirt with her in his awkward way. We find out that Willow has been pining for a clueless Xander for some time and Buffy and Angel are immediately sparring with each other thanks to his being overwhelmingly cryptic. And yet Buffy can’t help but notice that he is “dark, gorgeous, in an annoying sort of way”.

Continuity:
Buffy has the first of many prophetic dreams. Joyce’s parting words to Buffy as she drops her off are to extract a promise to not get kicke out of this school, a promise she will wind up breaking a year and a half later. Angel acts as if he’s never seen Buffy before, which belies the flashback in “Becoming, Part 1”. The Master’s first attempt to open the Hellmouth was in 1937; his next will be in “Prophesy Girl”.

Songs played: All by Sprung Monkey: Saturated, Believe, Swirl, Things Are Changing, Right my Wrong

Notable lyrics from the songs:

Saturated:

So fragile, a young mind being molded
Impressionable as they decipher the world
A living portrait of what you've painted
Don't underestimate the mind of a child
Cause it's amazing just how they soak it up

Believe:

Oh,
I just want to believe.....,
Can you hear me,
Can you see me,
What's inside of me,
Oh,
I just want to believe.....,
If my life it has a purpose,
Help me to believe,
Who am I? ,
Why do I live? Why do I die? ,
Who am I? ,
Should I care about my soul?,
Where it might go,
Should I care?,
I feel love with my friends,
I feel love in my songs,
If I could just hold love then all the answers might come,
If we're all children of God and we just turned away,
A lack of belief,
A world without faith,
It's time we turn back around,
Because we've all been smashed through the rigors of life,
We've got values misplaced of what's wrong and what's right,
It's time we turn back around,
To what we know is love.

Swirl:

With acclimation, comes deep resentment
I'm forced in a structure I can only oblige
Integral termoil, It's time to decide
Choose my victims, draw my lines

Can this be the end that I've forseeen
A glass thats half full is half empty

Take a piece of me and watch me bleed
Take a piece of me if it's what you need.

Things are Changing:

Well, I'm now aware of many things
But I can't change your mind

Nature's crashing I can't believe it
Time slips by and still no one see's it
I just wonder what's going on
If your last word is going to be sorry
Say it now so I won't worry
I just wonder what's going on.

Right my wrongs:

Was it all in my mind?
What came so easily
Just tore apart my life.
It blew in fast, just like a haunting breeze
Now I’m left with why.

I wanted to include links to the songs but couldn't find them on YouTube. As we get into other episodes, I expect that will change.

Now, time for questions!! Answer as many or as little as you like, hopefully we’ll have enough to actually spur conversation.

1) What was your favorite part of the episode?
2) What did you like least about the episode?
3) Favorite quote?
4) Least favorite quote or quote that made you cringe?
5) Favorite scene?
6) Least favorite scene?
7) B/A factor?
8.) Scooby gang observations?
9) What about that music? Like? Didn’t like? Does it resonate?
10) Favorite fore-shadowy goodness?

Enjoy! I shall return to post my own answers to questions after I have watched the episode again, as well as to post more episode goodies.

-Luc

Last edited by lmblack21 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
cheryl
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing this now because I have to work a lot this week. Smile

1) What was your favorite part of the episode? This was the beginning of falling in love with SMG as Buffy, so obviously, I loved Buffy but it was also the start of a long love affair between myself, Giles, Xander, Willow and Angel, although the Angel love came a little later.

If I had to pick a favorite part? Meeting Ms. Summers!

2) What did you like least about the episode?

Can not think of a thing that I didn't like.

3) Favorite quote? I love the quote mentioned above, snarky in your face Buffy is always my favorite.

4) Least favorite quote or quote that made you cringe?

Again, nothing cringe worthy for me.

5) Favorite scene?

The tomb scene with snarky Buffy.

6) Least favorite scene?

Nope, still loving it

7) B/A factor?

Some chemistry for sure. Who knew we were experiencing the never before or again talent of capturing lightening in a bottle.

8.) Scooby gang observations?

Giles was gorgeous, that's about all I got at this point, lol. Willow was adorable and Xander was the cute clown.

9) What about that music? Like? Didn’t like? Does it resonate?

I loved the theme song beyond the telling and pretty much always enjoyed the music through out all the seasons, with season 2 being my favorite.

10) Favorite fore-shadowy goodness?
Hmm, have to think about that one.

Thanks for getting this going, Luc and thanks to Matt for all his help.

Irony= see above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: