Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buffy Reboot
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Buffy Reboot Reply with quote

I'm sure this is already getting around but I wanted to be first to put it on this board. Smile

For reals: BtVS is getting rebooted with Joss at the helm.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Buffy Reboot Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
I'm sure this is already getting around but I wanted to be first to put it on this board. Smile

For reals: BtVS is getting rebooted with Joss at the helm.

Yep

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/buffy-vampire-slayer-reboot-inclusive-take-joss-whedon-works-1128888

July 20, 2018 by Lesley Goldberg

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Inclusive Reboot in the Works With Joss Whedon

Monica Owusu-Breen has been hired by producers 20th Century Fox Television to pen the script for the new take on Joss Whedon's cult favorite. A network is not yet attached.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.

20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, have put a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon's original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall. Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war. It's unclear if Whedon will have any additional role on the new Buffy due to his other commitments, which include HBO's recent straight-to-series order The Nevers.

Talks for a new Buffy began last fall. A decision to move forward was determined after Breen was identified as the right writer for the reboot. A script or director has not yet been determined. Casting for the central role of Buffy has also not yet been determined. The new version, sources say, will be contemporary and build on the mythology of the original. Like today's world, the new Buffy will be richly diverse, with some aspects of the series, like the flagship, seen as metaphors for issues facing society today.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven seasons on The WB Network (which evolved to become The CW) and UPN. The series continued in comic book form after completing its run in 2003. Buffy was based on the feature film of the same name that starred Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry that was originally penned by Whedon.

The cult favorite series became a breakout and helped turn Whedon into a household name, while also launching the careers of the series' stars (including David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan) and writers (including Jane Espenson and Marti Noxon). Buffy ranks as one of the greatest TV series of all time and has been hailed for the way in which Whedon and the writers challenged gender norms and portrayed Buffy (Gellar) as a feminist hero.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter in March 2017, pegged to the show's 20th anniversary, Whedon said he wouldn't rule a Buffy reboot or reunion out but also expressed his "fear" at the idea. "I see a little bit of what I call monkey's paw in these reboots. You bring something back, and even if it's exactly as good as it was, the experience can't be. You've already experienced it, and part of what was great was going through it for the first time. You have to meet expectations and adjust it for the climate, which is not easily. Luckily most of my actors still look wonderful, but I'm not worried about them being creaky. I'm more worried about me being creaky as a storyteller. You don't want that feeling that you should have left before the encore."

The decision to reboot Buffy comes a few months after Fox and 20th TV chairman and CEO Gary Newman hinted that the title could soon find itself into the studio's development pipeline. "[Buffy] is probably our most ripe show for a remake, it's something we talk about frequently," he said in March, noting that the choice to do so ultimately was up to Whedon.

For her part, Breen recently created and showran NBC's Midnight, Texas. She left the series after season one. Her credits include Revolution, Fringe, Brothres & Sisters, Alias, Lost and Charmed. She's repped by WME.

The Buffy reboot and HBO drama mark a return to television for Whedon, whose credits include Buffy spinoff Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. The once-beloved showrunner has been criticized more recently after allegations of abuse and cheating from his ex-wife. Whedon is repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham

Reboots and spinoffs continue to be in demand as broadcast, streaming and cable outlets alike look for proven IP in a bid to both monetize libraries and cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that features more than 500 scripted originals this year alone. For its part, 20th TV has revived 24 and Prison Break, among others, in recent years. The Buffy reboot is part of a larger effort by Fox 21 to expand its slate to streaming and cable.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-series-reboot-in-works-black-lead-monica-owusu-breen-joss-whedon-1202430592/

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Series Reboot With Black Lead In Works From Monica Owusu-Breen & Joss Whedon

One of the most beloved TV series of the past two decades, Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is making a comeback. A reboot of the supernatural drama is in development at Fox 21 TV Studios, the cable/streaming division of 20th Century Fox TV, the studios behind the original series, which ran for seven seasons, first on the WB and then on UPN.

Midnight, Texas creator Monica Owusu-Breen has been tapped as writer, executive producer and showrunner of the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with the original series’ creator and showrunner Whedon set to executive produce alongside original series’ exec producers Gail Berman, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui as well as Joe Earley from Berman’s Jackal Group.

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which Whedon adapted from the 1992 feature he had written, helped establish him as a creator, Berman as a TV producer, star Sarah Michelle Gellar as a household name and the WB as a TV network. (Berman at the time ran Sandollar Television, which also is getting credit on the potential reboot.)

was a game-changing hit that put the fledgeling WB on the map and was a series that developed a devoted following only a few other series have managed to achieve. Fifteen years after Buffy‘s end, it’s still going strong. That helped make Buffy into a lucrative property for producer 20th Century Fox TV, which used the series’ success to get a bigger license fee from UPN in the show’s controversial move from its original home in 2001.

Buffy also spawned a successful spinoff in Angel, toplined by David Boreanaz, which aired on the WB for five seasons.

20th TV has been at the forefront of the current wave of reboots and revivals with 24: Live Another Day and 24: Legacy, which also opted to shake things up with a black actor, Corey Hawkins, succeeding Kiefer Sutherland, and new installments of Prison Break and The X-Files. The studio also has a Last Man Standing revival on Fox this coming season.

20th TV and the original series’ producers started discussions last fall about rebooting Buffy. After much deliberation and a lengthy back-and-forth, everyone involved agreed the time was right contingent on finding the right writer with the right take. The attention focused on Owusu-Breen.

Whedon and Breen had previously worked together on ABC’s Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., which Whedon co-created and executive produced/directed and Owusu-Breen co-executive produced.

It is unclear whether Whedon will have any other role on the series due to his many other commitments but he will be creatively involved and is already working with Owusu-Breen.

Whedon, who had been largely focused on features for the past few years, including writing and directing the first two movies in Marvel’s hugely successful The Avengers franchise, The Avengers and The Avengers: Age of Ultron, is making a return to TV. He just signed on to write, executive produce and showrun The Nevers, picked up to series by HBO, and he also exec produces Pippa Smith: Grown-Up Detective, which is in development at Freeform. He is repped by CAA.

Owusu-Breen most recently created the NBC supernatural drama Midnight, Texas based on the books by author Charlaine Harris, and served as executive producer and showrunner on the first season. She previously worked with J.J. Abrams on Alias, Lost and Fringe. Her series credits also include Revolution and Brothers and Sisters. She is repped by WME.

Well,now we know why Season 12 is the final comic season I think.
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm this stands out to me.

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

The red parts stood out to me.Could this not be hard reboot but more like a legacy sequel with a new character as the lead?Sort of like the Jurassic World films in relation to Jurassic Park.Basically still in continuity with canon Buffyverse but set in the present with a completely new lead and cast?

Some more articles

Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Confirmed!
The new Buffy will see a black actress take on the role previously played by Sarah Michelle Gellar

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/959479-joss-whedons-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-confirmed

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ TV Reboot in the Works with Black Lead Actress

http://collider.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-tv-reboot/

Buffy The Vampire Slayer TV Reboot In The Works With Black Actress

https://screenrant.com/buffy-vampire-slayer-tv-show-reboot-joss-whedon/

Joss Whedon Is Rebooting ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ With A Black Actress As The Slayer

https://uproxx.com/tv/buffy-reboot-joss-whedon/

African American-Led BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot In Development with FOX21

https://www.newsarama.com/40984-african-american-led-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-in-development-with-fox21.html

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting a reboot

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot

Joss Whedon Is Working On A Black BUFFY Remake

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/07/20/joss-whedon-is-working-on-a-black-buffy-remake

Tweet from Christos Gage

https://mobile.twitter.com/troyfin2/status/1020458913752371200?p=v

TJ Finecey
@troyfin2

@Christosgage @joss Did this Buffy reboot/revival have anything to do with the comics seasons ending?

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @troyfin2 @joss

Not that I'm aware of, but ain't nobody consulting with me on matters like that!
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/960779-buffy-reboot-will-follow-new-slayer-showrunner-confirms

Buffy Reboot Will Follow New Slayer, Showrunner Confirms
The black actress lead will be a new Slayer character

By Grant Hermanns ON July 26, 2018

Buffy reboot will follow new slayer, showrunner confirms

It was officially announced last week that the hit WB series Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment at Fox with a black actress leading the series! Fan reaction as mixed at first as it was initially seen as though Sarah Michelle Gellar’s portrayal would be replaced. However, new showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen (Alias) has just confirmed that the new series will not be replacing Gellar in the titular role, but rather will focus on a new slayer.

“For some genre writers it’s Star Wars. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my Star Wars,” Owusu-Breen wrote in a tweet. “Before I became a writer, I was a fan. For seven seasons, I watched Buffy Summers grow up, find love, kill that love. I watched her fight and struggle and slay. There is only ONE Buffy. One Xander, one Willow, Giles, Cordelia, Oz, Tara, Kendra, Faith, Spike, Angel…They can’t be replaced. Joss Whedon’s brilliant and beautiful series can’t be replicated. I wouldn’t try to. But here we are, twenty years later…And the world seems a lot scarier. So maybe, it could be time to meet a new Slayer…And that’s all I can say.”

Owusu-Breen’s previous credits in the TV world include the J.J. Abrams espionage thriller Alias, mystery-drama Lost and sci-fi drama Fringe, as well as the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters and Marvel series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The reboot’s network is currently unknown, given that the original series ran on The WB and UPN, both of which are now defunct, and that the rights to the franchise are owned by 20th Century Fox.

A follow-up to the Whedon-penned Buffy the Vampire Slayer feature film, the Buffy TV series ran from 1997 to 2003 for seven seasons. The series starred Sarah Michelle Gellar in the title role alongside Alyson Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon, Charisma Carpenter, Anthony Stewart Head, David Boreanaz, Seth Green, James Marsters, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson, and Kristine Sutherland. Since its conclusion, the series has continued in comic book form, with some of the characters continuing their journey in the Angel spin-off series. There was previously a feature film reboot of the property in development at Warner Bros., but it failed to materialize.

So this isn't a reboot from the sound of it but a legacy/revival sequel series.A new character as the Slayer.
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAH! *happy dancing and flailing* I'm so excited now! I was super apprehensive when it seemed like it was just going to be a hard reboot, but if the lead is one of the new Slayers, then I am fully on board now to give this thing a shot. It sounds like this showrunner has the right kind of love for the original show(s?) and wants to make something to complement it and bring it to a new generation, not attempt to upstage it. We're off to a great start.

I can't wait to see what modern special effects will do with the Buffyverse. Will they stick with the old demon prosthetics and makeup or go digital? Will we finally get werewolves turning into actual wolves?
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taaroko wrote:
AAAAAAAAH! *happy dancing and flailing* I'm so excited now! I was super apprehensive when it seemed like it was just going to be a hard reboot, but if the lead is one of the new Slayers, then I am fully on board now to give this thing a shot. It sounds like this showrunner has the right kind of love for the original show(s?) and wants to make something to complement it and bring it to a new generation, not attempt to upstage it. We're off to a great start.

I can't wait to see what modern special effects will do with the Buffyverse. Will they stick with the old demon prosthetics and makeup or go digital? Will we finally get werewolves turning into actual wolves?

I have a feeling they'll update things with a combo of practical and CG.I watch a lot of superhero shows.For example I watch all the CW Arrowverse shows and Krypton.Based off that,there is a lot they can do today on TV that they couldn't when Buffy and Angel were done.

The only down side for me is if this is on a streaming service.I don't have Netflix for example and I'm not subscribing to others either so unless it comes out on Blu Ray(like some of the Netflix shows I watch),I won't be getting it.

For example,I would love to watch Titians and the other DC Universe streaming live action shows.But I'm not subscribing.Same with the new live action Star Wars on the upcoming Disney streaming servie.And Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access.I watch the first epiusode on CBS but I'm not subscribing to see it.I watched the first two epsiodes of Cobra Kai which were free but I'm not siging up for You Tube Red.

So if the new Buffyverse series is on a streaming service,I'll have to hope it eventually gets a Blu Ray release.

With Netflix,The Marvel shows have been.And Stranger Things did too.I bought them.

Some more links to articles about this news.

Buffy Showrunner Addresses Reboot Concerns: It’s ‘Time to Meet a New Sl…

Buffy reboot showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen issues a statement about her love of the original series while teasing something new for the franchise.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-showrunner-addresses-reboot-concerns-its-time-to-meet-a-new-slayer/

Buffy Reboot: Showrunner Shares Details on New Slayer After Backlash

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/26/buffy-reboot-showrunner-shares-details-on-new-slayer-after-backlash

The ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ Reboot May Follow A New Slayer

https://uproxx.com/tv/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-new-slayer/

New Buffy showrunner clarifies reboot reports, says its time for ‘a new Slayer’

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/new-buffy-showrunner-clarifies-reboot-reports-says-its-time-for-a-new-slayer
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I watch a ton of shows like that too. Supernatural, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, The Vampire Diaries. The difference is that none of those shows (or the DC shows) have a beloved 20-year-old precursor with which they share continuity, so it will be fascinating to see how they handle that. Are they going to try to keep things consistent enough that it's easy to believe it's all the same universe, or are they just going to go for an all new look? There's a wide spectrum of possibilities there. (But seriously, we better get werewolves turning into actual wolves, or I will be sending an angry letter.)
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i said that i dont want to talk about reboots, but since the latests news implies a “new slayer”, may i just say something?

No offense, but i think joss and company were “testing the waters”. If they wanted to introduce a “new slayer”, then why not say “spin-off”, instead of a reboot?! The previous news about reboot, when a Fox exec was interviewed, was meant to be rebooting Buffy. So it’s not surprising if the news came out. The surprise is that they will have a “new cast”.

If there will be a “new slayer”, then it shld also have a “new name”, a “new character”. The title shouldn’t be “buffy” anymore. It’d be totally like Angel, a spin-off.

The main question i am concerned of: if they continue based on “buffy mythos”, the possibility of old characters like buffy and angel wld be mentioned or possibly have roles with this “new slayer”. If that happened, and the original actors were not available, then what would they do? “Recast”?!

And if they can’t recast, what then; let the characters “die”?!

So, i can understand the excitement of some fans for this spin-off, but the moment they mess around with buffy & angel, as characters, then there are going to be some problem.

And since this reboot, is a “continuation” of a slayer who is not buffy, then i guess, darkhorse comics will stand as the “canon-continuation” of buffy’s tale?! Okay, great😒
comic fan
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taaroko wrote:
Oh I watch a ton of shows like that too. Supernatural, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, The Vampire Diaries. The difference is that none of those shows (or the DC shows) have a beloved 20-year-old precursor with which they share continuity, so it will be fascinating to see how they handle that. Are they going to try to keep things consistent enough that it's easy to believe it's all the same universe, or are they just going to go for an all new look? There's a wide spectrum of possibilities there. (But seriously, we better get werewolves turning into actual wolves, or I will be sending an angry letter.)

Cobra Kai would be a good example of how to do something like this.Like I said,I saw the first two episodes but followed spoilers and reviews of the rest of the season.And even just on the first two episodes.That felt like a true continuation of The Karate Kid films and a update too.

Granted that stars the actors form the movies as their characters again where this I'm assuming won't atleast not in any major way or regular role..

I look at this sort of like the Jurassic World films in relation to Jurassic Park 1-3.

Quote:
The main question i am concerned of: if they continue based on “buffy mythos”, the possibility of old characters like buffy and angel wld be mentioned or possibly have roles with this “new slayer”. If that happened, and the original actors were not available, then what would they do? “Recast”?

And if they can’t recast, what then; let the characters “die”?! !

They probably just wouldn't use that character.I don't think they will recast anyone,assuming they want to bring anybody back.
elle2
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They probably just wouldn't use that character.I don't think they will recast anyone,assuming they want to bring anybody back.

That’s the issue i am most concerned for: if they are not gonna use Buffy or Angel while they use other characters like for example willow or spuke, then what wld become of Buffy and Angel? They wld just be mentioned but no “physical appearance” other than possibly be flashbacks from the tv series?!

I know for sure that DB wont play Angel anymore, so what will happen to Angel with this “new slayer”? Wld he be treated like an elephant in a room, a non-issue while buffy & the other vamp wld make a possible appearance?

I know it’s too early to speculate, but as an Angel fan, there is nothing for me to be excited in this news of reboot. Sorry.
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, based on Owusu-Breen's remarks, the idea is that we're getting an entirely new cast of characters who happen to exist in the Buffyverse. This, to me, seems like the best possible option for a new series. So at most, there would be references to the original Scoobies (who are probably legendary to people in the supernatural community, and especially current Slayers), and maybe the occasional cameo from an original cast member (but unlikely any of the vampires, for obvious reasons).
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^unless one of them became human, and that wld explain the old age. or the Shanshu is not really a thing for “buffyverse” since it’s only mentioned in Angel?!
taaroko
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be awesome if the Shanshu happened (as long as it was Angel, not Spike). But I suspect the new show won't want to tie off any of the dangling threads from the original shows. It would be foolish for them to alienate either the Buffy/Angel shippers or the Spuffies, especially when none of those characters will be a big part of the new stories, if they're involved at all.

I feel like we have every reason to be optimistic right now. Owusu-Breen sounds like one of us. She's a longtime fan, not just some rando 20th Century Fox hired to capitalize on an old property. I'm curious to see what she comes up with. It might still be rubbish, but it might also be fantastic.

(Also it would be a huge missed opportunity if the promo materials for the new show don't play with "in every generation...")
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering if Joss actually wanted to mess with the mythos a little. As I remember, he claimed once that he wished he could have taken out the word "Chosen" altogether....no idea where to find the quote and not entirely sure what he meant, though, so don't ask. Smile
elle2
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^i understand the power of positivity, but since joss have insisted to favor b/s and spukey fanbase, i dont see anything positive done for Angel under joss’s command. I will forever have disgust to joss for what he allowed of the comics, even if i heard that b/s broke up. B/S fanbase has been strengthened all thru the years and comics just only strengthen them more.

Yes, i agree that it’d be foolish for them to alienate either bangel or b/s. But sorry, if i feel alienated for the last 3-4 yrs, as a Bangel fan. What is my assurance that i wont feel alienated as an “Angel fan” for this reboot? First of all, every media are just all about “buffy”, the show. What about Angel as a show?

Okay i have to digress. I know for a fact that btvs has already put a mark on television history and pop culture. I wish Angel, the series, had the same status of btvs as a SEPARATE show. But i guess, the moment joss killed the integral characters of Ats, in favor or spuke and Illyria, “Angel’s own myth” has ceased to exist, even if he had a direct descendant in the form of Connor.

Let’s wait and see...but in my case, i’ll just see if there is really a positive thing for me to wait around, not as a “buffy” fan, but as an Angel fan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: